General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Confusing problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusing problems.

So I got my car on a dyno and thought everything would go well.... Not the case. Car is a 2001 Z28 with full bolt ons, 85mm profesional products intake and throttle body and a texas speed MS4.
The tuner started doing his thing but the car was not reacting hardly at all. We noticed tge throttle body was only opening 90% but nowhere near the stop. Car kept throwing the mass air flow code even after swapping out MAFs. What could cause these issues.

Last edited by SportGoldSS; 10-31-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

did that shop run a check?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Launching!

A check for what?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by SportGoldSS
The tuner started doing his thing but the car was not reacting hardly at all. We noticed tge throttle body was only opening 90% but nowhere near the stop. Car kept throwing the mass air flow code even after swapping out MAFs. What could cause these issues.
A bad tuner. Time for a new one!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Launching!

uhm... how is getting a new tuner going to help figure out my throttle cable isnt opening the blade 100%? and help figure out my im throwing code P0101 even with a new Mass air flow sensor...
Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I made an assumption that there were no codes before the tuner started. If they happened during the tune, then the tuner should be able to unmess things up, right?

Did you try resetting the codes and going for a normal drive? If someone were to throttle the car quickly, like messing with the throttle plate, it could cause the code.

For the throttle body, I'd try first to isolate the issue. Unhook the cable and see if you can turn the plate all they way like that. Unhook the pedal and do the same. Look for binding at the pedal, etc.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
I made an assumption that there were no codes before the tuner started. If they happened during the tune, then the tuner should be able to unmess things up, right?

Did you try resetting the codes and going for a normal drive? If someone were to throttle the car quickly, like messing with the throttle plate, it could cause the code.

For the throttle body, I'd try first to isolate the issue. Unhook the cable and see if you can turn the plate all they way like that. Unhook the pedal and do the same. Look for binding at the pedal, etc.

I saw the codes before the tune and assumed that he just had to make adjustments to fix them and delete the codes that needed to be deleted like the AIR system.

For the throttle body, if i opened it by hand than it would open all the way, so nothing was blocking it, but using the pedal it wouldnt. I found where to make adjustments and i tightened it up and it now appears that the blade is opening 100% and hitting the stop. I have no way to confirm without the computer the tuner was using.

For the P0101 code. I did some research on here and found some guys with similar setups and descreened MAFs and they were having the same problems, some guys put a new honeycomb in and it fixed the problem. I have another LS1 camaro that i borrowed the stock MAF off of with the honeycomb and drove it around for a while. So far the P0101 code has not popped up **knocks on wood**.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the throttle body, if i opened it by hand than it would open all the way, so nothing was blocking it, but using the pedal it wouldnt. I found where to make adjustments and i tightened it up and it now appears that the blade is opening 100% and hitting the stop. I have no way to confirm without the computer the tuner was using.
How'd you adjust the throttle body cable?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Launching!

The little black plastic connector looking piece between the throttle body and the electronic throttle control box, just snapped the cover off and moved the cable to where i need it and snapped it back on. Did the trick perfectly.

Biggest issue i have now is the P0101 code. It keeps throwing this code and when it does it goes off of the speed density or so im told. Ive swapped the mass air flow sensor with a stock unit out of my 98 SS and it is still throwing the code. I noticed a lot of people are saying to put the honeycomb back in it, the stock SS unit had the honeycomb still intact... Ive also checked for vacuum leaks the best i could with carb cleaner and have had no indication of any leak. I was told i need to take it to a shop with the smoke testor. But could a vacuum leak cause this code, or is there something else? I know with the MS4 cam the vacuum and airflow are all over the place at idle so what could i do to fix this code?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:59 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know with the MS4 cam the vacuum and airflow are all over the place at idle so what could i do to fix this code?
Your tuner should be able to fix your idle and fix your P0101 code.

If not go to somewhere else.

Have you cleaned your MAF sensors?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Launching!

I have cleaned both of my sensors that have been in the car.