General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light issue.

The temperature outside is like 36-40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I went to the corner store to buy some milk. The car turned on, drove over there and everything. when I got out the store, I turned the key, and it didn't start. I saw that the security light was on. I knew what this meant. I had to put the key back to its original position and let it sit til the light turned off.

The security light turned off in like 5 minutes. I turned the key, cranked and it shut off right away. EVERYTHING SHUT OFF! My lights stayed off, fuel pump didn't prime, etc. The car pretty much has no power at the moment. I tried getting power through jumper cables but it didn't work.

What can be the problem?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check the connection at the battery first.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the connection seems to be fine. it's. weird how my car started up with no problem after a freezing night. when I put my car in neutral to push it, the brakes were hard to press and the power steering didn't work.

its a 96 base model
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: I tried starting it up just a few minutes ago. I put in the key, the regular beeping from having open doors came on. I turned the key. Made a click and the whole car went dead again.

What is wrong?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a bad connection at the battery or the starter. Disconnect the connections at the battery first and clean the connections.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Mine did that same thing this summer. Very hot day and the car started and ran fine. I went inside for about 20 minutes and tried to start car but everything went dead. I had interior lights a door chime until I tried cranking engine. I checked battery connections and everything was fine. It turned out to be the battery was bad. I replaced it and no problems since then.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Teching In

this was happening to me and ended up being the altenator..i ended up changing everything though..new battery..starter and alt