Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

bad wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad wheel bearing

so i think i have a bad wheel due to this sound i am slightly hearing at highway speeds sounds like a swirling sound. i have a video i will post up in a little. when i go right around bends the sound goes away and when i turn left the sound gets much more intense.im guessing it is a bad back left wheel bearing since when i turn right the weight is relieved and when i turn left more pressure is added to the bearing. i know to wiggle the wheel at 12 and 6 i tried this for the right side nothing seemed wrong still have to try it for the left side i think i can remember if i did that side as well. but im going to have my mechanic buddy help me take a look at the bearing soon. if it the bearing is bad can i just just replace the bearing or is a whole new hub needed? i want to get this taken care of soon as possible because i had one go bad before and it made a roaring sound as it spun, drove me damn near insane. it also destroyed the axle so im trying to save the axle this time before its too chewed up.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

The hubs on the front are one piece and must be replaced as a whole if the bearings are shot.

there is no hub in the back, just the axle bearing and a seal.

if you can replace brakes and rotors, then either job is easy and can be done under 2 hrs.

have you jacked the car up and spun the front hubs? They will make a racket if they're bad. definately be sure you know what corner of the car is at fault or you may find yourself doing this task more than once.

Be happy its not FWD! I just changed the hubs on my wifes 3.8. The new hubs did take care of the highway noise(whining), and tightened up some play in the steering wheel. That axle nut was fun!

I had an axle bearing explode on my 87. no fun there. i have since learned to do those myself, and I've had great luck with ratech bearings and seals.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like mentioned above a bad hub will make a noise like a bad brake pad when the caliper moves.

Take off the wheels and spin the hub by hand. If it makes a light scratching noise it's the hub. The bad hub will also affect your abs sensor

If its coming from the back it's your rear end
Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

im hoping its not the rear it was just rebuilt about a year ago but i dont think it is because whenever i make a right turn or move to the right the sound completely goes away but its def coming from the back. i know i have pinion whine from the first time my rear was rebuilt and the guy didnt shim it right but this is a different sound.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna say you got a bad right front wheel bearing..when you take a load off of it going right your taking the load off the bearing which quiets it down, and when going left your putting pressure on it which is why your hearing it more..you dont necessarly need to have play in the hub for it to be bad.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
im gonna say you got a bad right front wheel bearing..when you take a load off of it going right your taking the load off the bearing which quiets it down, and when going left your putting pressure on it which is why your hearing it more..you dont necessarly need to have play in the hub for it to be bad.
i tested this and it seems to be how it acts. if i go to the right side the sound goes away because it puts pressure one the left wheels and when i go left it puts the pressure on the right wheels but i do not think it is the front one because i only hear the sound from the back of the car. also i have whine from my rear completely goes away at any speed if i let off the gas. but once gas is applied it comes back im thinking this is because it raises the rear and changes the angle of the pinion so im thinking its the pinion angle needs to be adjusted ?
also the both back wheels seem to have play to them when the car is on the ground. im posting videos up any moment now.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqOtfFRkugo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWBsdeK8cJk
:20 is when u can really here it but yeah..

and here is the last one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZroD-lMZQ
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

I replaced both of mine just cause i was given them. Also installed new rotors and hawk brakes and supension in the rear and it handles alot better at 120 and no noise.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

my shocks are pretty much gone i need new ones so bad and tires. so im hoping this is nothing serious, if it is a wheel bearing i wanna get it fixed asap before it eats the axle like it did last time started roaring when it did that
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Ya lol get konis 4/4 if buget lets you too. Complete umi suspension stock springs and konis and it will handle like a dream.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My car would rumble above 40mph while making right turns. It turned out to be the front driver side wheel hub. I'd check your front passenger side hub and see if it spins free and evenly.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump any idea on the play with the rear wheels?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Um you should probably describe the problem your having with "play in the rear wheels". Because its the first time you've mentioned it
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the first video, there isnt much play as much as the sound i hear when i move either of the back wheels its not like the wheel wobbles.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
its the first video, there isnt much play as much as the sound i hear when i move either of the back wheels its not like the wheel wobbles.
Mine totally does that too in the back. It happened after I installed all my suspension stuff. I have roto joints in the back. I think it is my panhard bar moving back and forth. If I jiggle my driveshaft it makes the same noise also. Something in there is moving around. I just ignore it. I can't figure it out and my 10 bolt whines like it is supercharged so I'm just going to fix it when it explodes.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

I had a problem like Catmaign and some mechanic told me it was my upper control arm. For your problem, it's most likely the wheel bearing if it whines.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine also whines I think its the pinion rubbing because it's not shimmed right because if I let off the gass the whine completely goes away but if I apply gas thus changing the angle slightly creating the sound but I'm def thinking my main problem is back right bearing

Quick Reply: bad wheel bearing