General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whistling by The Intake

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whistling by The Intake

Hey, guys.

Would anyone happen to know what might cause a pulsing whistle (whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop) by the back of the intake manifold (stock setup)?

Although I can't be sure whether it's from the same place, a low volume whistling pulse is heard for a few seconds when I come to a stop after consistent driving, and starts to lower in volume/dissipate with each passing second after stopping. One day, I heard a moderately loud pulsing whistle (the sound is somewhere between a whistle to a squeak) on a cold start, and when I popped the hood, it appeared to be coming from the top, rear end of the intake section. As you might've guessed, it disappeared upon getting warm and haven't encountered it again on a cold start since.

Would it be accurate to assume any whistling sound to be air related?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a vaccum leak.
possibly pcv hose is ripped. check the pcv hoses and see if htey are torn they are notorious to break/rip especially in the back near the passenger side.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a can of carb cleaner and spray around until it bogs then you've found her.The only thing at the back would be the hook up for the brake booster and 1 or 2 small vacumm lines near it.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Thanks, guys.

I'll pick up a carb cleaner and then check the PCV hose in back of the passenger side.

Search this Thread