General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clutch sticking to floor and major fluid loss (Yes I've read the various stickies)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch sticking to floor and major fluid loss (Yes I've read the various stickies)

Out of the blue about 2 weeks ago, my car started with the (what I have now learned is infamous) clutch sticking to the floor, and needing to be pumped to get the pedal to return. I've never driven this car hard and its never pulled this stunt during high speed shifts, which I havent done in years. I topped the (admittedly dirty) fluid off and the problem went away, but it has returned every few days and I'm noticing the reservoir is visibly lower-once its refilled to the line the car is almost always fine again.

Anyway the whole point of this is Im trying to be a little more detailed with my problems to help diagnose wether its fixable with a flush (which I doubt since I seem to be losing fluid), a master cylinder (which I'm hoping), and not the slave cylinder-which would render this car a 3400lbs paperweight because I'm a broke jobless graduate. Is there any place the master is prone to visibly leaking so I can confirm whether or not its that? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try putting some cardboard underneath the car and look for any signs of it dripping. Then pin point where it's leaking. You could probably get some dye for it as well.

Originally Posted by Whisper
Out of the blue about 2 weeks ago, my car started with the (what I have now learned is infamous) clutch sticking to the floor, and needing to be pumped to get the pedal to return. I've never driven this car hard and its never pulled this stunt during high speed shifts, which I havent done in years. I topped the (admittedly dirty) fluid off and the problem went away, but it has returned every few days and I'm noticing the reservoir is visibly lower-once its refilled to the line the car is almost always fine again.

Anyway the whole point of this is Im trying to be a little more detailed with my problems to help diagnose wether its fixable with a flush (which I doubt since I seem to be losing fluid), a master cylinder (which I'm hoping), and not the slave cylinder-which would render this car a 3400lbs paperweight because I'm a broke jobless graduate. Is there any place the master is prone to visibly leaking so I can confirm whether or not its that? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Master can go bad without leaking any fluid. One of the inner seals just has to be shifted enough to let air in the system and it will cause the pedal to stick.

If its a sticky pedal its the master

If its a dead pedal it's the slave. Leaky slave will also cause visible dripping from where the transmission meets the motor
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Master can go bad without leaking any fluid. One of the inner seals just has to be shifted enough to let air in the system and it will cause the pedal to stick.

If its a sticky pedal its the master

If its a dead pedal it's the slave. Leaky slave will also cause visible dripping from where the transmission meets the motor
Awesome, thanks for the info man- this is what I was looking for. I'm still hoping its the master. In the meantime, I'm just driving around with extra Dot 3.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

If you are having to top it off it's obviously leaking somewhere. Check the carpet under the dash to see if it wet/stained after you drive it for a while.

When my slave went bad it would just leak everywhere and wouldn't have any problems with the pedal. Eventually it leaked so much I was having to top it off every day

Check for leaks on the ground and in your car
Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry I can't edit from my phone

When my master went bad the car would have problems holding pressure and we had to pull the pedal up off the floor

When my slave went bad it had a visible leak on the ground under the car. You could see a leak where the engine met the Trans

My slave went bad on my car in college and I had to sell it because I couldn't afford to keep the balance on a credit card. If you have money problems my best advice is to just apply for a larger student loan because the interest is lower than a credit card balance.

I was able to buy my car back from the guy I sold it to after college, granted he beat the **** out of it when he had it but at least I got her back lol
Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Sorry I can't edit from my phone

When my master went bad the car would have problems holding pressure and we had to pull the pedal up off the floor

When my slave went bad it had a visible leak on the ground under the car. You could see a leak where the engine met the Trans

My slave went bad on my car in college and I had to sell it because I couldn't afford to keep the balance on a credit card. If you have money problems my best advice is to just apply for a larger student loan because the interest is lower than a credit card balance.

I was able to buy my car back from the guy I sold it to after college, granted he beat the **** out of it when he had it but at least I got her back lol

Well Im getting a very visible leak right where the engine meets the tranny so I guess that means slave, and Im also having to top it off daily. I guess the car is a paperweight now. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah its the slave. I've been through this twice. When you get the new slave make sure you get a quality one. I opted for the cheap one the first time and a year later it went out again.

Quick Reply: Clutch sticking to floor and major fluid loss (Yes I've read the various stickies)