General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

05 5.3 Silverado questions.

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
Default 05 5.3 Silverado questions.

Ok so my oldest is 15 and less than a year until he turns 16. His grandpa is going to give him the 05 Silverado he bought new. It has the 5.3 and has well over 200k miles on it. I know he took good care of it, but as most vehicles with over 200k on the motor its got some leaking issues. So I haven't had time yet to run down there and look at it myself, I plan on going to look at it Sunday. Proud dad moment late last night when he sent me a text saying he got it started on his own. I knew all of those years in the garage with me would hopefully pay off. So what he is saying it is doing. He said its smoking and it smells like its burning oil. To be expected. What should I look for as far as leaks? Obviously I am going to have a leak down done on it if we can get the thing to drive under its own power. I am going to have him make sure it has oil, and coolant in it today, and then he's going to start it up so that I can hear the motor as he said he thinks the headers are leaking. He said its not making any noise at start up or while running. Also what is a good cheap synthetic oil I can throw at it for now? I don't want to dump a lot of time and money into it until I know that he might can get started with that motor while I build him one. Thanks for any help you can give me here.
Old Today, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

hello. cheap synthetic oil that is dexos approved - amazon basics motor oil. good stuff and cheap. as far as exhaust leaks, check where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head. the bolts are notorious for breaking off. typically, the front and back bolt. they sell a brackets that bolts to the head and uses another bolt to push on the manifold to stop the leak.
Amazon.com: DOPPAPS Exhaust Manifold Clamp Repair 917-107 Fits For Escalade Avalanche Express Silverado Suburban Camaro Tahoe Savana Sierra Yukon 1999-2018, 11518860 : Automotive Amazon.com: DOPPAPS Exhaust Manifold Clamp Repair 917-107 Fits For Escalade Avalanche Express Silverado Suburban Camaro Tahoe Savana Sierra Yukon 1999-2018, 11518860 : Automotive
Old Today, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bleepster
hello. cheap synthetic oil that is dexos approved - amazon basics motor oil. good stuff and cheap. as far as exhaust leaks, check where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head. the bolts are notorious for breaking off. typically, the front and back bolt. they sell a brackets that bolts to the head and uses another bolt to push on the manifold to stop the leak.
Amazon.com: DOPPAPS Exhaust Manifold Clamp Repair 917-107 Fits For Escalade Avalanche Express Silverado Suburban Camaro Tahoe Savana Sierra Yukon 1999-2018, 11518860 : Automotive
Awesome! Thank you for your help. I dont want to throw mobil 1 at an engine that's been sitting for a year or so. I just want to get some decent clean synthetic oil in it so we can cross that off the list when we do decide to move it.
Old Today, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

when he had it running, what was the oil pressure? Also, a good degreasing first, then running will help identify any leaks
Old Today, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bleepster
when he had it running, what was the oil pressure? Also, a good degreasing first, then running will help identify any leaks
He did it late last night. I was already asleep. He lives about 45 minutes away so I am having him check all of that today. Good idea on the motor wash. My dads got a 02 4.8 truck with close to if not already at 300k on the motor and it barely uses any oil and has decent oil pressure. It was taken care of as well.
The following users liked this post:
bleepster (Today)
Old Today, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Oil Pan Gasket usually is leaking by the 200k mile time, If you end up getting into it that far replace the O-ring on the Pickup Tube with a new red one. Did that in my 2001 2500HD, hair under 200k on it, and the oil pressure went up almost 10psi. That wasn't because of new oil either, it's stayed consistent over time.

As mentioned Exhaust Manifold bolts are probably broke on the side at the head because heat expansion pops him off over time. If it sat for a bit maybe burning oil in the Cylinders off, hard to say without seeing it.
Old Today, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Good to see younger generation still wrenching. The leak down test will not be a bad idea and odds are still good to go. If the smoking continues I'd consider valve seal replacement. The LS powerplant is really simple to service especially in a truck, the various platforms it's been put in that sometimes make it a real PIA to access serviceable parts.

Quick Reply: 05 5.3 Silverado questions.