General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Sea Foam

OK so I bought a bottle of Sea Foam in wally world and am going to dump it into my gas tank on a Full Tank. Is there anything negative about this stuff. I've read some people say do not do it, Why?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will get some shitty mileage i think.. ive done mine.. didnt notice any improvements afterwards. Some condemn it while others will swear by it...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

SeaFoam is a good gas treatment and I don't think there is any real controversy about using it...in the gas. The arguements against SeaFoam are usually related to using it to clean the top end of your engine. I believe Mopar has a product that many people are using on the top internals rather than SeaFoam now.

Here's a thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-cleaner.html
Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

sea foam is safe to use, pour it in
Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
OK so I bought a bottle of Sea Foam in wally world and am going to dump it into my gas tank on a Full Tank. Is there anything negative about this stuff. I've read some people say do not do it, Why?
Don't bother putting a full can into a full tank....it won't clean anything. Too diluted.

Gas is pretty potent stuff for cleaning lines and fuel injectors already.

You need to put a full can into 1/8 - 1/4 tank,, then it'll do some cleaning. I've been doing that every 3-4 months for 13+ years in my 1998 T/A.....

Change the fuel filter right AFTER that tank is run out.

Also....SeaFoam for cleaning the top end of the engine is for the ***** who don't know any better......

Old 11-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Don't bother putting a full can into a full tank....it won't clean anything. Too diluted.

Gas is pretty potent stuff for cleaning lines and fuel injectors already.

You need to put a full can into 1/8 - 1/4 tank,, then it'll do some cleaning. I've been doing that every 3-4 months for 13+ years in my 1998 T/A.....

Change the fuel filter right AFTER that tank is run out.

Been doing it this way for 6 years now, never a problem!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does it say on the can?

Regardless, you don't need a full can in the tank. Nor do you really need anything more than Techron to clean your fuel system, unless you always buy crappy gas and never get anything with any decent additives.

If you are going to add some to the oil, which I think is silly, at least do it right before you change the oil. Extra detergents don't really help you lubricate the motor any better. In fact, a better way to "clean" the oil system is just drain the old stuff, fill with a good additive pack 0W20 and let it idle up to operating temp, then shut down and drain it out.

For the intake manifold (top end) I think this stuff does ok. The main problem is that if you add it at the brake booster it isn't going to do much for the front. So you would need to find a place to add it near the front of the manifold. The spray / foam cleaners are a little easier to get distributed evenly.

edit: looked at a can...

"One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel"

"One pint treats 10 quarts of motor oil"

"Slowly pour 1/3 pint through carburetor, throttle body, or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders."

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 11-21-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

My personal experience with the stuff has been pretty positive. I had a customer bring me a POS run-down Nissan that was sounding like a diesel due to stuck lifters....they had just bought it (God only knows why) from a car lot. They wanted me to "adjust the valves" on it. When I informed them that the car had hydraulic lifters that required no adjusting, they were surprised....and pissed. Apparently, the car lot had told them that was the only problem with the car (valve adjustment). I told them that we could try SeaFoam and see what happened.

I dumped a can of it into what looked like an engine that had never had it's oil changed, and then started the car. No joke....5 seconds later, the car died. Started it again....it died. Started it again....it sputtered, then ran like a new engine! I was pretty amazed, as were the customers. I changed the oil after flushing the engine again with a little diesel fuel, and they drove home......extremely lucky, and very happy.

SeaFoam is a pretty nasty detergent, as in this case it un-stuck the lifters in no time flat. Does it work in a full tank of gas for a fuel system? I'm not sure. Does it flush an engine well? I'd have to say yes...but don't leave it in the oil for long. I suspect that it plays hell on old oil seals.

Personally, I've used bottles of Techron on occasion for the fuel system. Seems to work fine for me.

And that's the end of my little story for the day.....
Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

OK well I dumped it in the tank and ran 100 miles and have no issues so I guess it's OK. I wasn't looking for any miracles, just wanted to try something New to clean up the injectors a little. It cost me about $8 and didn't do any damage so.......I guess it's OK. Thanx for your replies.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by salemetro
SeaFoam is a pretty nasty detergent, as in this case it un-stuck the lifters in no time flat.
Yep, this is why I wouldn't add it to my engine oil... using a decent oil and the recommended drain interval goes a long way
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Yep, this is why I wouldn't add it to my engine oil... using a decent oil and the recommended drain interval goes a long way
Yes!! I use mobil1 and change it every 10,000 miles, I use the 15,000 mile oil and 95% of my driving is on the highway.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

On a car that's already in good condition this stuff is near worthless.

You won't notice any difference, other than your wallet is $8 lighter.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

I used this in all of my cars. The way I was told to use it is suck the entire can through a vacume line the shut the car down and let it sit for an hour or so, then run the car until it stop pouring smoke out the exhaust. I can say this stuff is amazing. I used it between intake manifold ls1-ls6-fast92 swaps so I was able to see a before and after. My ports looks almost brand new compared to the first time I had it apart a month before.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Sucking it in a vac line is like steam cleaning your pistons. I know a guy who sucks water into a vac line to clean the top end when they are putting out too much to pass inspection. When he is done the car passes every time. However....it can be dangerous doing things like this.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Launching!

If you do do it that way be ready for some seriouse smoke out the exhaust. My old iroc would smoke out an entire block lol.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Captain Double Post

my injector cleaner is cam2
Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

It helped my car. My car sometimes didnt want to run as well at idle. Know it runs like new.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

I've been told most of the smoke comes from the combustion of naptha in the seafoam.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aquariussuperman
I've been told most of the smoke comes from the combustion of naptha in the seafoam.
Bingo. Liquid SeaFoam pools in the intake like puddles because its so heavy that when its poured into the brake booster line it just falls to the bottom of the intake. Some gets sucked up in the rear two cylinders though.....

When its started later on it smokes as its sucked up into the heads and into the cylinders. There's everybodys smokeshow....

Whats funny is....everyone that does the SeaFoam in the brake booster line pours it in, then they sit around and wait for a couple hours....FOR NOTHING......

Funny ****.......but as long as they "think" its cleaning things inside the top end, thats all that matters.

I did SeaFoam years ago on this stupid bandwagon......I did 3 FULL cans in one week. It smoked a little bit each time. Then my friend woke me up, after laughing at me, gave me a single can of MCCC. I did that the proper way and after letting it sit for 2 hours.......it smoked more than all 3 SeaFoams combined and the engine actually ran better afterwards.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam