General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight / Clutch fun.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight / Clutch fun.

Greetings. First post, but I have read these forums on and off for years.

So the weather here in NC turned a bit cold last week, and my 6 speed 1999 z28 decided to give me a bit of a fit with the clutch pedal.

The car is mostly stock and has 148k miles on it (just hit 148k today actually). The clutch pedal decided to stick to the floor last week and I was able to lift it with my toe between gear changes without issue.

Today, it is 70 degrees and it is back to shifting fine again. Not sure what the cause is, although I have seen some posts saying that I should bleed the transmission of fluid and re-add. EDIT: also, I've not had any fluid loss that I've seen under the car.

Also, in unrelated news, I went to grab a pizza the other night and found my low beams to be non functional.

A volt meter at the bulb reads 0 volts. High beams work, but low does not. Also fog lights and interior lights are fine.

At this point, I think it may be either the relay in the DRL module behind the stereo, or possibly the headlight switch under the left most ac vent, though I doubt it is that because the chimes go off when I have the switch at the 1 oclock position and the door opens. Also, the gauge cluster lights up when the switch is at that same position.

I figured maybe it was the same switch that controls the turn signals (in the steering column) but since the high beams work, and according to the wiring diagram there is nothing connected to the low side on that switch, I decided to concentrate elsewhere.

I am open to any and all suggestions to fix both of these issues, but admittedly I am not nearly as car savvy as most on these forums are.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

For the record, I've owned my 99 z since 2001, going from 17k to 148k miles. It has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever had (shocker to some I'm sure).

Cheers

Last edited by Jmel; 11-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM
wrencher

Flush the clutch fluid to start with.
That can help curb problems, but you might end up needing a clutch master.
Bleed it out first, lots of threads here on how to.

I'd check the dimmer switch on the steering coulmn.
It's midway down the coulmn, there's a rod that connects is to the turn signal stalk.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

+1on the dimmer switch and flushing/bleeding the hydraulics on your clutch