General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

everything dies when tring to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everything dies when tring to start

ok i have a 2000 pontiac firebird the battery has been tested its fine and has full charge.... with that being said when i put the key in to go and start it everything comes on fine like normal then i try to crank it and nothing gauges die the car does absolutly nothing no sounds no clicks no knocks nothing i got it to attempt to start about 1 week ago and it acted like it had no gas but it has over a half a tank of gas in it i know cause i put that in it the day b4 it took a crap on me so let me know if any one has any idea whats up
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe it's a bad alternator. Have you had it checked?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Teching In

no its not a bad alteernator everything mecanincly has been checked
its just like theres no signle getting from the key to the starter or somthing i just got under it and tried to jump the solonoid from the starter i hear the noise but no ign try to turn over
Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the security light on? VATS issue maybe.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Launching!

this happened with my Honda Civic.....I'd turn the key to on and everything would come on and it seemed ready to go...turn to start and it would just all go black. Turns out it was just the negative battery terminal wasn't tight enough. Try making sure it has a good connection. You'll have enough juice to power your acc. with a so-so connection but to get your starter to turn, it needs to be good connection. I had to end up putting a screw in between the terminal and the connecion strap to make sure it was contacting good.

Also, on another car I had the corrosion on the wire was so bad it had the same exact symtoms. Is there alot of corrosion on your wire?? I had to cut the wire down and re-attach the wire to the connector. It worked like a charm. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Teching In

not that i know i i went through it with a fine comb but nothing im waoting.to hear from the mechanic
Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep us updated on what the problem is. I just installed an air pump (smog pump?) and 2nd day in i just came from work an 1 hr ago and as i turned off the car than turn it back on to drive inside garage car sounded like it was going to turn off. So after i parked in garage turned off, than turned on and all lights went off and car died. I will check my battery cables but really like to hear what the mechanic tells you.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Teching In

he gave me some bullshit line that its a electrical problem that he cant figure it out now i have to pay the tow fee and his storage fee till i get paid on friday
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98boxer
Keep us updated on what the problem is. I just installed an air pump (smog pump?) and 2nd day in i just came from work an 1 hr ago and as i turned off the car than turn it back on to drive inside garage car sounded like it was going to turn off. So after i parked in garage turned off, than turned on and all lights went off and car died. I will check my battery cables but really like to hear what the mechanic tells you.

This site is the best. After reading this as i said i was going to check the negative cable and sure enough! I forgot to fully tighten the negative cable on the battery. Thanks to this site problem solved.

Arron make sure to check all negative grounds. Take your car for a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Good luck.

Quick Reply: everything dies when tring to start