General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ticking coming from my ls1

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking coming from my ls1

hello everyone.. My name is Lee, I am new to the board and have a question for anyone who can help and thanks in advance for anyone who can help or give some advice....
Ok, I have a 98 z28 with 51,000 miles, the car is not realy driven much and ocassionaly sees a little bit of drag strip use, the car runs great and has a 3000 stall, hooker long tube headers, 4.10 gears and auburn 3 series posi, cold air box and has been tuned...
anyway I took it out for a ride today and was on my way home and was cruising around 70 mph and nailed it till i hit 105 mph, after slowing down I noticed a tick (sounded like a rocker tick to me but I poped the hood and the tick sounds like its coming from the center of the top of the motor, and my question is ... do you think its a lifter tick or could it be a injector making the noise? the tick does speed up with RPM's... it just sucks cause the motor is not abused gets oil changed every 3000 miles or less and I only use MOBILE synthetic motor oil and for the most part its babied most of the time..
and if it is a rocker or cam-lifter Ive realy been wanting to upgrade to a bigger cam anyways and want to know what you guys would recomend as a nice cam and lifter package that will work well with a 150 horse nos kit, I had purchased the kit a few months back but have not installed it yet...
also later Im wanting to change the heads and Intake as well and want to reuse the cam shaft that I may be in need og buying later on if I have too...
what do you guys think my problem is and what do you recomend for a nice aftermarket cam and lifter package...

Thanks again for any advice!!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Teching In

heres the motor in the camaro

Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

probably a lifter tapping, but get used to a loud valvetrain if you plan on a cam. coud also be a slightly bent pushrod. the stockers are pretty weak.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Teching In

yeah that is what im starting to think it is as well.. I know all about the noisy valvetrane bro, I have a 72 montecarlo with a 427" small block with motown 235's, 700" lift roller and 14-1 compression.. I just didnt realy know if the ticking noise could possibly be a injector making the noise and I realy didnt think it would happen in this motor no more than its used or abused , only having 51000 miles on it.... just kind of sucks as far as timing goes...lol but I have been wanting to do the head, cam and intake upgrade anyways so I guess I have a great excuse to do in know...huh...lol

what do you think about the trick flow head and cam packages?