General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wont start anymore

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start anymore

Hi guys,
I just got everything running on my car (besides the fans for the radiator they still need to be worked on) and anyways I took it to get smogged yesterday. It passed fine but it got pretty hot during the test (to around 250 degrees) as the fans don't turn on right now. Well anyways I let it cool down some after and drove it home. I started it later that evening to make sure everything was ok and it all ran fine. However, when I went to start it up this afternoon, it just sits there cranking and nothing happens. After it stops cranking I can hear/feel maybe 2 or 3 cylinders firing but then nothing after that. I've already checked all the fuses and didn't find anything wrong. Anyone have any ideas what could fail to make it not start anymore?

The only recent work I've done is an oil change, and I cleaned the contacts on the starter.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Edit: when I turn the key I can at least hear the fuel pump but could it still be bad?
Edit #2: I just remembered that I just switched from 87 octane fuel to 91 octane fuel idk if this could have any effect

Last edited by goldylocks; 12-08-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt put diesel in it did you? Haha jk

But seriously you should check the obvious, like fuel pressure and spark. If you have good fuel pressure 50+ your ok. Check the spark at the plugs, if you have spark could be a sensor. Any codes coming up? Also more info on the car.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply as it turns out it was the grounds that were the culperate. I polished up the two chassis grounds and the one going to the icm and it fires right up now. Thanks