General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

overheating/radiator fan not kicking on

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question overheating/radiator fan not kicking on

hello. i have a over heating problem. well the car dosent overheat when its moving but only in heavy traffic or just sitting there at idle, also when the a/c is on it dosent overheat. i started with the fans one dose not kick on and the other kicks on when the ac runs so i unplugged the one that was not running and wired it to the battery and it came on. now i know the fans work next i went to the fuses and relays. the fuses were fine and i swaped out some relays and still the fan wont kick on when i hits the hot range. so now im stuck and i dont know what else it would be. i can drive perfect when the a/c is on. i just want everything to work like it should. if all else fails i can toggle switch it but im not all in to rigging something that's in perfect shape. can someone throw me some advice? HELP ME PLZ!! lol thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xenogear_id
hello. i have a over heating problem. well the car dosent overheat when its moving but only in heavy traffic or just sitting there at idle, also when the a/c is on it dosent overheat. i started with the fans one dose not kick on and the other kicks on when the ac runs so i unplugged the one that was not running and wired it to the battery and it came on. now i know the fans work next i went to the fuses and relays. the fuses were fine and i swaped out some relays and still the fan wont kick on when i hits the hot range. so now im stuck and i dont know what else it would be. i can drive perfect when the a/c is on. i just want everything to work like it should. if all else fails i can toggle switch it but im not all in to rigging something that's in perfect shape. can someone throw me some advice? HELP ME PLZ!! lol thanks

Well, sounds like you did some good diagnostics. I would say if you checked all relays/fuses and you know the fan is good, then you either have a wiring problem or the PCM is bad. Fans are commanded on by the PCM so I think your next best step is to see if the PCM is commanding the one fan on. You'll need a wiring diagram that shows which pin/wire feeds the fan that isn't working. A Tech 2 or similar scanner would come in really handy so you can just command the fans on and test for power.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your ECT is bad (example always reading cold) then your fans will never kick on due to temp because the pcm still reads cold.

As lt1pwr1 said, hook up a scanner which you can see what temp the pcm see at the least and if possible command the fans on and see if the pcm is sending the ground signal to the relay.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At no time on the V8 cars does just one fan come on,, they are wired in series for low speed, and then switch to a paralell setup when High cooling is called for, which is sent by the PCM, The PCM sends a ground signal which is what activates the relays. Here is a schematic,,..Hope this helps..
I used some markers to track power (not the same color as the acutal wires but close), the orange is power to the coils of the relays, the pink is actual batt power for the fans. the blue and green are ground signals from the PCM, and black is just ground.

Quick Reply: overheating/radiator fan not kicking on