General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stalling and knocking ls1 WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling and knocking ls1 WTF?

yesterday since the weather here in michigan has been so pleasant i decided to take the firebird out for a quick spin. had to stop and put some fuel in and put a couple miles on it. well i didnt beat on it too bad since the nittos dont like the 40 degree weather but i did open it up a couple times. well while i was driving it easy all of a sudden it started losing power, bucking a little, ses came on for a split second. i pulled over and started hearing a knock type sound but it wasnt constant. car stalled and wouldnt restart without giving it some gas. put it in gear and it stalled again. knock wasnt getting worse but was still there. i was a couple blocks from home so i limped it home having to keep my foot on throttle in order to keep it running. motor was rebuilt last winter with forged mahle pistons, arp rod bolts on stock rods. all new bearings, .587 lift cam with cc 918 springs on stock heads. car wont idle so i cant get an accurate oil pressure without keeping my foot on throttle but its above 50. any ideas or input would greatly be appreciated
Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still not too familiar with the engine setup, but without further clarification, it could be anything from a poor connection in the ignition to oil fowling from defective valves/rings to bad fuel, though the fowling would be unexpected due to the new build. The flashing engine light is indicative of a misfire. A misfire that can stall a V8 should have a problem in multiple cylinders or two that fire back to back. If it's within your convenience to do so, you might want to check the plugs for further clues of the cause--after making sure your fuel is good, of course.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

See if you can pull any codes from the car. How long has the car been sitting? I wouldn't think the car has been sitting long enough for the fuel to go bad but you never know...
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where was the knock coming from? valve cover?scanned for codes? i dont think it would be gas but as myk said you never know, op it could be a few things but i see some good ideas to start looking
Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Like what has been already said it could be a couple of things. I would start by pulling codes. From what I have read it sounds like its either a coil pack or spark plugs but that's just me internet troubleshooting at 2am.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

drained the oil and there is gold sparkles in my oil pointing at a spun bearing and by the sound its most likely a rod bearing cause i did the arp rod bolts but dont think my machinist honed the big end back round causing the premature failure.... from what ive researched so far lol. thanks for the help though. gotta pull the motor and investigate how much damage has really been done.