General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering Wheel Play

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Play

Just a question here guys I guess I never really noticed this too much before but after driving my buddies z28 the other day I realized I have play in my steering. Maybe about 1/2" but its just dead play the wheels dont move at all. Tomorrow morning before i go to work I'm going to check if the steering shaft moves when the play occurs or if it maybe something inside the column. Question is if its not the rack what inside the column can cause play in the steering?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

tie rods
Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced both tie rods. Replaced the rag joint. I still have steering play. All that it left it the rack. That sucks because it's not leaking and otherwise seems fine.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the pitman arm for play. have a buddy turn the wheel back and forth just till you get tension on the steering wheel, so i guess go back and forth an inch. do this with the car off and on the ground obviously. if all else fails you can slightly adjust it through the steering box. the a nut with an allen hean in the center, if you do tighten this do it in very small increments like 1/8 of a turn at a time.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car also does this, bump
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by johnny89345
check the pitman arm for play. have a buddy turn the wheel back and forth just till you get tension on the steering wheel, so i guess go back and forth an inch. do this with the car off and on the ground obviously. if all else fails you can slightly adjust it through the steering box. the a nut with an allen hean in the center, if you do tighten this do it in very small increments like 1/8 of a turn at a time.
I did try this steering adjustment per shoebox tips. It might of helped a tiny bit but not much. Wonder if an alignment shop would help.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol sorry gys i think i pretty much figured out whats causing mine. my tie rods dont have any play and ls1 cars dont use a rag joint. however i had my dad turn the wheel in the car just enough to not make the wheels tuen and I can visibl see the steering shaft turn under the hood but no movement from the rack so im going with that my rack is getting worn out and needs to be replaced.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Dead play in the wheel. Absolutely no movement in the tires. I thought it was the tie rods, replaced those to no avail, so i replaced the rack and pinion and it is still just as bad as it ever was. Boo. Checked all the bolts nuts joints and anything else i could think of and its still there. has anyone came up with a fix for this mess? BTW i have a 99 ls1 camaro.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by will lewis
I have the same problem. Dead play in the wheel. Absolutely no movement in the tires. I thought it was the tie rods, replaced those to no avail, so i replaced the rack and pinion and it is still just as bad as it ever was. Boo. Checked all the bolts nuts joints and anything else i could think of and its still there. has anyone came up with a fix for this mess? BTW i have a 99 ls1 camaro.
I would look closely at your steering shaft. Have a friend wiggle wheel with engine off and get familiar where excessive lash is at and then stick your head down by brake pedal and look up at steering shaft and see if it has any wear in it. It should rotate with shaft of steering column and rack but shouldn't have any excessive play in any of the joints. We had a four-wheel drive diesel suburban with gear box that had worn out steering shaft and it was amazing the difference it made after we replaced it.

Good luck, Chris
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the wheel bearings for play. Otherwise its the rack if the tie rods are good and the I shaft moves with the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by johnny89345
check the pitman arm for play.
Check the what??
The following users liked this post:
Blac94z28 (11-25-2020)
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Teching In

I will def have to look really closer at the steering shaft and everything else that has . And I need to recruit someone to turn the wheel for me lol. At least on mine, the tie rod ends are new and i just put a reman rack in. My rack was worn and needed replaced anyways though. Even when the car is off, i can reach under the hood and grab the steering shaft and it has play. But the play does not come from the rack, tie rod ends, or ball joints. Any other things to really check?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I will go with the rack. I can move the wheel the exact same amount as the shaft under the hood moves so it must be the rack right?

Yes tie rods are new and the wheel bearings have zero play. The only other thing i can think of are the inner tie rods. I did not replace these.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Before you replace anything, check that the nut on the bolt that secures the steering rack to the car is not loose. This summer, I noticed that my steering had gotten a dead spot in the middle. I was not enthused about replacing a steering rack. When I got under the car, the whole steering rack itself was moving when the steering wheel was turned. I tightened up the nut that holds it to the car and that solved my problem. Hopefully it solves yours too.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:29 AM
Staging Lane

I know this is an old thread but i had the same problem with excessive play in my steering and i was able to fix it. The problem was where the steering shaft attaches to the rack.... the rack has splines and the steering shaft slides onto it and is held tight by 1 bolt. This bolt was loose causing the play. Once i tightened it up all the play went away.

I hope this can help someone else as i couldn't find an answer anywhere and it was driving me crazy, I'm just glad it was something simple and free this time, i was afraid it was a bad rack.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ I spent much money and time searching for this problem. The issue wasn't the bolt it was the rubber bushing hidden under a steel cover that had melted. GM doesn't make this shaft any more.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Mine ended up being the rag joint. Replaced rack inner outter tie rods, wheel bearings and rag joint eliminator. Like a new one now.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Mine ended up being the rag joint. Replaced rack inner outter tie rods, wheel bearings and rag joint eliminator. Like a new one now.
rag joint is #1 thing to check on LT1 and V6 cars, for me my play seems to be coming form the u-joint just a few inches above the rag joint.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

OP -

Overbalanced Engineering (I think that is their name) makes a very nice rag joint eliminator - it took out the play in my steering wheel.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by great421
OP -

Overbalanced Engineering (I think that is their name) makes a very nice rag joint eliminator - it took out the play in my steering wheel.

That would be "UNbalanced Engineering", which makes MANY great road race oriented parts for 3rd and 4th gens.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Play