General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 Camaro door will not open from either side

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update- if anyone is following this I finally got it open. I'll post up info and some pics later in case anyone has the same problem. The plastic was broken on the latch preventing it from opening.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal. Did you end up cutting the latch apart from the inside of the door? Those are the worst.
I know I cringe when I get these in the shop not super common, but makes for a rough day.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to drill the latch and cut it apart. But it was shot. There was a gold release for the latch but i couldn't get to it. Turns out the latch that was on it was from a junkyard so it was garbage in the first place. I just got the car 7 months ago. I picked for hours on it trying to hit the lever. I finally measured and took my interior panel out by the back seat. Drilled a hole big enough for a screwdriver and luckily it was right where it needed to be. Popped the lever and got it open. Filled the hole i drilled and its good as new. Helped put in a transmission the day after in a friends car and it was much less hassle than a door latch lol. Thanks for all your help with the matter though. If anyone else needs a pic of the backside of the latch hit me up. It will let you know what to expect to pop it.

Quick Reply: 99 Camaro door will not open from either side