General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Waterpump help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitly changes pitch when the engine revs, it gets higher pitched/faster the higher the rpms. Heres the video again in case someone missed it in the 1st post, it still doing the same thing - http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...odtouch003.mp4 .

I dont think it'd be a rough pulley unless it was like that brand new, because its got a brand new belt tensioner and brand new idler pulley. Not being able to hear the squeak anywhere particular with the stethoscope leads to believe its the belt, but I just dont know. I've done 3 serpentine belts from 2 different brands and it still has always came back. First one was a cheapy $18 belt and the last 2 were $26 Dayco supposed "noise reducing" belts.

Theres no leaks from the pump, and the car has never overheated. The only reason I had that in my head was because I had a mechanic on my street look at it to see if he could find the squeal about a month ago, and he said he couldnt pinpoint it but that it could be the waterpump. Said it looked like it was starting to go, but he didnt see any immediate need to change it for awhile and just to keep an eye out for leaks/temp gauge.

I really appreciate all the help guys, I'm ready to be done with this squeak lol. I have to start my car and let it warm up for like 15/20 minutes just so I can be able to drive down the street without that obnoxious squeal
Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Teching In

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...odtouch003.mp4

Sorry, not sure if the last link worked but this one should.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Launching!

That sounds exactly like the cricket that lives under my hood...
I know you said it's not leaking or anything, but have you tried adding coolant? Last month my car had that same type of chirp, and the pitch went higher as well when the engine was revved. Turned out I was low on coolant...I added some and the chirp went away.

When you definitively pinpoint what it is though, plz post up because I'm curious to see what is causing the sound in your car.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Unchainedl984
I dont think it'd be a rough pulley unless it was like that brand new, because its got a brand new belt tensioner and brand new idler pulley.
I was thinking a water pump, alternator, crank, or PS pulley. Do they have signs of any wear or grooving? It sounds like there is a rough spot somewhere with every rotation of a pulley. You might also put a radius mark of chalk on the fronts of each pulley and see if the squeaking keeps time with each single rotation. (Each pulley is a slightly different size.) If you find one that matches up, it could be your culprit.

I really hate this stuff because it can make a mess, but if you get to a point of desperation, you might try some belt dressing and see if that takes care of the noise.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Teching In

ha mines doing the exact same thing. its slowly getting worse. i have checked and changed everything but the waterpump. will be doing that in the next few weeks.

this might help
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...se-i-hear.html

Last edited by ls1fan00; 01-27-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does it as well, I've changed the main tensioner belt but have started to spray the inside of the belt with a belt grip & the sound disappears instantly.

Last edited by ls1 1990 VN; 01-26-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Mine does it as well, I've changed the main tensioner belt but have started to spray the inside of the belt with a belt grip & the sound disappears instantly.
What's really great is when you have a problem with the belt and a pulley. Spraying the belt sometimes works and sometimes doesn't...
On a side note I discovered one of my coolant hoses is leaking some, so that may help contribute to the cricket under my car's hood.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Thats the conclusion I've came to, after all this time. Did the waterpump and that cricket under the hood was still making noise the next day, so I changed the belt and it went away for a good 2 weeks but inevitably came back.

That means it HAS to be the belt. I changed it out under warranty, but my guess is that something is leaking on the belt and causing it to squeal. I'll have to try and find out whats leaking from where onto the belt. Never ends
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you spin the water pump bell housing? It should spin freely with the belt loosened or taken off. If its at all hard to spin, thats your problem.

A guy here recently kept having squeaks and throwing belts.....his water pump was binding and not spinning freely. Changed the water pump and it fixed it.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Teching In

The bell housing is good. I swapped the waterpump out about a month ago, I thought for sure it was the waterpump making the noise but turns out it wasnt.

The problem is definitly the belt, everytime I change it one (and I've done 4 so far) the squeak goes away for a week and then comes right back. Leads me to believe it has to be something leaking onto the belt, some kind of fluid or something.

Anyone have that same problem?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i replaced all the pulleys........all the tensioners............and used goodyear gatorback belts......dont know which solution solved the problem..........but i am now squeak free
Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Teching In

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that something is leaking onto my belt. The belt sits in front of everything, it just doesnt seem possible from where its located. I did buy some belt grease from Autozone and it actually made it worse. It squealed like crazy, worse than before, until it warmed up.

Its got to be just a shitty belt or some kind of fluid is leaking onto it and causing it to squeak, and which would lead to the squeak stopping when it gets to temp. because whatever fluid on the belt would probably dry off from the heat. I guess I can try one more belt this time, which is gonna be a gatorback because everyone says theyre the best, but if not then I'm just going to bring it somewhere because I'm too sick of chasing it down.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Mine has a squeal now...

My squeal goes away after it warms up, but comes and goes as I drive the car. Definitly there when cold.

Any solution to your squeal yet?

Quick Reply: Waterpump help