General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering leak

Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak

i have been doing alot of research on why my P.S fluid is leaking out of the reservoir and it seems like the P.S cooler is the problem??

why exactly does it boil out of the reservoir?

and will a aftermarket cooler resolve this problem??
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Commonly, its from dirty/contaminated PS fluid. (The metal, dirt, etc. changes the physical properties of the fluid, which can cause it to expand more.)

The stock cooler cools the fluid to the temperature of the coolant - 210. Not the best - but obviously it worked fine from the factory. So, if you are still cooling the fluid to 210 - it is probably be the fluid itself. So, if you do a complete flush, the problem will likely go away for you.

(The above being said - other rare things that could be at fault, such as a bad pump seal allowing air in. This could cause the fluid to entrain air and swell. If this is happening, your fluid will look milky and frothy.)

But... better cooling should help keep dirty/contaminated fluid from expanding so much. So, changing the cooling is good insurance and will keep you going longer between PS flushes.

I have changed my cooler with some great cooling results. IMO - the reason to do it is not as much for the improved cooling, but to get away from the stock cooler design. The stock coolers failing is a common issue and when that happens, you get cross-contamination between the coolant and PS fluid. Very messy....
Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Commonly, its from dirty/contaminated PS fluid. (The metal, dirt, etc. changes the physical properties of the fluid, which can cause it to expand more.)

The stock cooler cools the fluid to the temperature of the coolant - 210. Not the best - but obviously it worked fine from the factory. So, if you are still cooling the fluid to 210 - it is probably be the fluid itself. So, if you do a complete flush, the problem will likely go away for you.

(The above being said - other rare things that could be at fault, such as a bad pump seal allowing air in. This could cause the fluid to entrain air and swell. If this is happening, your fluid will look milky and frothy.)

But... better cooling should help keep dirty/contaminated fluid from expanding so much. So, changing the cooling is good insurance and will keep you going longer between PS flushes.

I have changed my cooler with some great cooling results. IMO - the reason to do it is not as much for the improved cooling, but to get away from the stock cooler design. The stock coolers failing is a common issue and when that happens, you get cross-contamination between the coolant and PS fluid. Very messy....
Concerning your last paragraph, when it does mix... What is the best way to correct this?

Mine has just become mixed officially today, and I'll definitely be buying my own cooler.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Concerning your last paragraph, when it does mix... What is the best way to correct this?

Mine has just become mixed officially today, and I'll definitely be buying my own cooler.
- drain the coolant and power flush the system
- disconnect the overflow tank and clean with dish detergent
- If you can't clean the overflow dipstick, you may need a new one
- use a turkey baster to suck out all the coolant on the top of the p/s tank
- drain the p/s system and refill

(All of the above got me clean as a whistle.)

Search this Thread