General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Wheel Hub Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Wheel Hub Stuck

In the middle of changing out brakes/rotors and front wheel hubs and I can't get the first wheel hub off. I have tried banging with a mallet from the back side. I have soaked it with PB Blaster, I saw from a search using a chisel might work. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, obviously make sure yoyve got it unbolted all the way, other than that, just BEAT THE **** OUT OF IT..inless youve got airtools/airhammer to make this easier, dont be afraid to smack it with a hammer. they can be stubborn as hell because rust and corrosion builds up between the hub and knuckel.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
well, obviously make sure yoyve got it unbolted all the way, other than that, just BEAT THE **** OUT OF IT..inless youve got airtools/airhammer to make this easier, dont be afraid to smack it with a hammer. they can be stubborn as hell because rust and corrosion builds up between the hub and knuckel.

This, had to beat the **** out of them the first time I took them off.

Last edited by xXSilencerXx; 01-26-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try hitting it with a hammer, but with a chisel up against the hub, then hit the chisel. Don't ask me why, but my friends wouldn't come off with both of us taking turns beating the hell out of it.....his buddy told us to do this. We smacked it once and it fell off.

Weird how they all differ.....mine were on there for 14 years, they both fell off as I was loosening the bolts.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to beat the **** out of mine for about 15 min. Hammer slipped off one time and cracked myself in the mouth. Chipped a tooth and busted my lip open. That was not a good day..
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Just about gave up, then I came across this video and his technique works;
I used a 10in. extension and 13mm socket on the rearward top bolt of the hub, there is a nice spot on the frame to place the other end of the extension. With the wheel straight I turned into the extension/bolt combo and the hub popped loose. Worked on both sides just like the video. Nice and quiet up front now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ly3pC8tzDc

Quick Reply: Help! Wheel Hub Stuck