General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Occasional startup issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Occasional startup issue

Can anybody give me some info on a situation I've encountered twice now over the last month-month and a half concerning startup. Basically what has happened is I'll turn the key in the ignition and the car starts fine but all of the gauges jump fully to the right and then back down all the way to the left and then come back and settle where they should be. In addition to that, the current mileage on the trip meter is reset back to 0.0...

Any ideas?

Pretty sure it did it for the first time after the header, ory, plug, mm install (with egr! and air!) about a month ago and did it again yesterday morning.

Car hasn't been tuned
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Can anybody give me some info on a situation I've encountered twice now over the last month-month and a half concerning startup. Basically what has happened is I'll turn the key in the ignition and the car starts fine but all of the gauges jump fully to the right and then back down all the way to the left and then come back and settle where they should be. In addition to that, the current mileage on the trip meter is reset back to 0.0...

Any ideas?

Pretty sure it did it for the first time after the header, ory, plug, mm install (with egr! and air!) about a month ago and did it again yesterday morning.

Car hasn't been tuned
IIRC, 99's had problems with the clusters going out. You can do a search and probably pull something. Also, make sure the cables at the battery are free of corrosion.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'll check the terminal connections. It might be the battery itself, I'm pretty sure its the factory battery or at least a factory replacement, AC Delco. Voltage meter looks solid though when the car is on. As long as the alternator isn't going out I'm ok lol