General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Removing rusty/broken manifold studs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rusty/broken manifold studs

Im in the middle of a motor swap and didnt have a choice but to break the bolts holding the passenger manifold to the cat when removing the motor. So I have got to the point of reinstalling and have sprayed the all three with kroil and let sit and nothing, Ive also applied heat and still nothing. These things are stuck and I really need these damn things out so I can get this **** box back together. Headers are not an option as funds are not there, so if you have any ideas im all ears.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM
JRS
Teching In

I broke one of mine off trying to get the cats off.

I drilled it out just a tad bigger than the stud and used a bolt with a nut on the top side.

I think you can get your hands and tools to the nut if you put it on the manifold side.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Teching In

You try that double nut method? I think you thread two nuts on the stud and turn the inside nut counterclockwise (to loosen it off the stud) until it runs into the other nut. Then you just keep cranking on it until it actually grabs the stud and unthreads itself from the exhaust (or whatever part its threaded into). I did something like that a few years ago and worked awesome to pull a couple studs out of I think a throttle body.

If that doesnt work, torch the **** out the exhaust, spray pb and guerrilla grip a vice grips to the stud and try turning it that way.

If those methods fail, cut/drill/torch it off.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain - I have been there.

If Kroil doesn't cut it nothing will.

My only advice: cut / drill / tap / repeat.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

soak them in pb blaster or you could heat them and cool them quickly, that may take a few times to work. good luck

Quick Reply: Removing rusty/broken manifold studs