General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New turn signal switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New turn signal switch?

My cruise control has been out for quite some time now. I believe it to be a bad turn signal switch, unless someone knows of another issue that may cause it. Anyway I want to replace the while switch. They are around $30 and I believe it to be a good start to cure the problem.
Is there a switch out there that doesn't rely on the, for the lack of my limited vocabulary, clicking motion? I would like to put a turn signal in that has more of a European/Japanese feel. I hate that you have to click it to illuminate your indicator. The car is a 2002 Camaro SS.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You are talking about three different components that are all hooked to the turn signal actuator:
- The high beam switch is specific to GM steering columns and you can't change it easly. There are threads here where people have wired up a secondary switch in another location for it.
- The turn signal switch is imbedded in the column and is not related to the cruise control.
- The cruise control switch is imbedded in the turn signal lever, which can be replaced. Before you drop coin on that, you should test it. 75% chance that your problem is not that switch. If you pop off the black plastic panel/cover on the column just behind the lever, you can get to the cruise circuit connector and do simple continuty checks on the cruise switch and set button.