General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Passenger side headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side headlight

Well i ordered the headlight motor from bfranker and only replaced the passenger side because i was short on time. Well anyways after replacing it, the passenger side will not sit flush with the bumper and the hood it still sit up from the bumper about a 1/4 inch. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks everybody.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Your linkage may not be sitting on the motor shaft correctly. Take off the nut and pull on the linkage. If it pops off with no effort, it isn't on correctly.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Ok i fixed that issue. But now when i turn my headlights off they both go down but the passenger side goes tight back up!!!! I have to get out and manually crank it and right now its 20 degrees where i am. What is causing the headlight to do this??
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Save the manuals!

This is typically caused by a bad gear. Maybe your motor housing is coming off the body and causing things to bind up?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Ok ill check that in the morning
Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Save the manuals!

FYI - From the install instructions:
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT... (See #2 under common problems above for additional info!) Now is also a good time to check and ensure the metal housing around the motor itself is fastened securely to the plastic gear housing. If it wobbles back and forth it can cause problems and wear on the brass gear (now hard coated aluminum gear) because the worm drive doesn't fully make up with the gear. To prevent this, ensure the metal motor housing is TIGHT and doesn't wobble back and forth. If it does, try to bend the metal tabs over more to make the metal motor housing tight and snug. (see top of page for detailed fix for this!) If you don't fix this and yours wobbles, there is a chance you will also strip your new metal gear!
This is also something that can happen over time so if you do the repair and all looks good, it isn't a bad idea to check this every so often like when changing the oil, every 6 months or so, etc. Just keep an eye on it because if these tabs come loose, it is only a matter of time before you start having problems again!

I was never able to get the motors on very well and ended up tearing my metal gears up. This step IMO is not so easy to do. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Wow thanks alot the very bottom screw was loose and sticking out so when the motor turned the metal arm swings and hits the screw so i think i have fixed it.