General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Two possibly unrelated issues, alternator and idle speed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two possibly unrelated issues, alternator and idle speed.

I am having two issues that may or may not be related.

First off right after I installed the Texas Speed Y I've noticed my idle sticking a bit high after going into neutral or releasing the clutch it had been around 1250 - 1500 rpm that it was sticking for 10 seconds or so. It was only an annoyance / slight concern until yesterday.

I made a trip up to jersey to inspect and finally buy the 65 Riv and on the way back down is when problem 2 started. My alternator started to go I started getting strange fluctuations in voltage it would drop to 10 - 11 volts for 10ish mins then jump up to 14 volts for about the same time, continuing the same trend but decreasing on the low side until it died on me. It seemed to provide charge at 1200 - 1300 RPM any more or less and the battery drained.

While all this silliness was going on I also noticed the idle sticking up to 2500 RPM for 10 - 15 seconds.

My primary question would be could the two issues be related at all?

Second would be could a build up of road salt cause my alternator to act like it was on its last legs? If so could I possibly give it a through bath and salvage it? It was supposedly replaced right before I bought the car about a year ago.

Third does anyone have any ideas on why the idle sticks?

There is an insane amount of salt on my car from the drive the midnight blue looks like glacier blue right now .

Apologies for the long post I tried to be as through and descriptive as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The idle often sticks because of theere not being enough slack in the adjuster running to the throttle cable. This can happen after simply repositioning the wires during oil change etc. There is an adjuster in line with the cable. Check it out. 10 sec fix. Y pipe shouldn't cause it. My idle didn't change with open headers
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

I should have mentioned I swapped out the shorties for the long tubes at the same time I completely forgot. I likely did just as you said and moved the stuff around.

Thanks for the Heads up I will give this a shot.

Anyone with thoughts on the alternator and road salt? Or is it just dead and in need of a swap?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Swapped out the alternator today, fixed me right up on charging, as i suspected any rpm over idle was providing no charge.

I also adjusted the throttle cable and seems to have solved the idle issue.

Thanks much RealLiveMD for the heads up on the throttle cable.

Quick Reply: Two possibly unrelated issues, alternator and idle speed.