General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bad oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bad oil leak!

hey guys, so today i put a stock ls1/t56 motor back in 02' ss. I rebuilt it completly new seals new everything. I got it all in pieces and rebuilt it. I started the car ran it for a bit but i realized that there was at least 3 quarts of oil on the ground. i shut it off. I looked at the entire engine but no sign of a leak. I look by the bell housing and it was pissing out by the oil filter area? i did reuse the oil pan gasket but it looked fine. seems to me like it was a preassureized leak by the way it was coming out. any ideas what it could be? did i miss something?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil cooler blockoff plate gasket? Its the two 10mm bolts above the filter. Either that or oil pressure sending unit on the back of the intake.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive seen this before, but with in the vicinity of the oil filter housing part of the oil pan, where it bolts to the engine, guys have double o ringed or left a part of the old gasket on the pan, or motor, thus resulting in said leak..i guess all you can do is fill it back up with oil if you cant see where exactley its comin from, and lay under the car and have a look for yourself.