General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinker not functioning, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Put the flasher in. Your bulbs and sockets are perfectly fine if the hazards work.

If the flasher doesn't take care of the problem, then you'll have a MUCH more expensive issue to deal with and you won't care that you spent $10 on a flasher.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Put the flasher in. Your bulbs and sockets are perfectly fine if the hazards work.

If the flasher doesn't take care of the problem, then you'll have a MUCH more expensive issue to deal with and you won't care that you spent $10 on a flasher.
UPDATE: The hazard lights work fine. The back lights light up and flash just fine, and so does the front right one. But the front left blinker doesn't flash at all when my hazards are on! And it's the back left blinker that I'm also having problems with.

So does this mean the bulb in the front is out and that I need to replace the flasher?

Also, my most important question. Where do I put this flasher fuse at? People keep telling me under the steering wheel/under the dashboard. But where at? I don't see anything under there, unless I remove some bolts.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
UPDATE: The hazard lights work fine. The back lights light up and flash just fine, and so does the front right one. But the front left blinker doesn't flash at all when my hazards are on!
Then your flasher is fine. You have a problem at the bulb/socket.

And it's the back left blinker that I'm also having problems with.
If the front bulb is burned out, then the rear won't blink. (It alone doesn't have the power to trigger the flasher. Both bulbs (front and back) need to be working in order for a thermal flasher to do its thing. The hazard test proves that the front bulb/socket has an issue.

Also, my most important question. Where do I put this flasher fuse at? People keep telling me under the steering wheel/under the dashboard. But where at? I don't see anything under there, unless I remove some bolts.
Do you still want to switch it?

Now that you've isolated the problem, (I expected you tested the hazards before you purchased the flasher.) you need to figure out if the problem is with the bulb or the socket.

The bulb has 2 filaments in it. One for the DRL and turn signal and the other is for the parking lights.

The cheap way to isolate the bulb/socket is to switch the left and right light bulbs. If the problem switches sides, its the bulb. If it stays in the same place, its the socket.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

Then your flasher is fine. You have a problem at the bulb/socket.

If the front bulb is burned out, then the rear won't blink. (It alone doesn't have the power to trigger the flasher. Both bulbs (front and back) need to be working in order for a thermal flasher to do its thing. The hazard test proves that the front bulb/socket has an issue.

Do you still want to switch it?

Now that you've isolated the problem, (I expected you tested the hazards before you purchased the flasher.) you need to figure out if the problem is with the bulb or the socket.

The bulb has 2 filaments in it. One for the DRL and turn signal and the other is for the parking lights.

The cheap way to isolate the bulb/socket is to switch the left and right light bulbs. If the problem switches sides, its the bulb. If it stays in the same place, its the socket.
Thank you for the helpful little write up. I think I'm going to try to switch the bulbs first and see if that's the problem. If the bulb isn't the problem and it is the socket, how tough is it to change the socket out?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Save the manuals!

If the bulb isn't the problem and it is the socket, how tough is it to change the socket out?
So easy, a caveman could do it. (With a screwdriver.)

Step 1) Don't be shocked at what you see. The sockets are black and burned and crusty. This is normal and why they go bad.

Step 2) Order new housings, inserts, and seals - 1 of each for each side. (I'd suggest doing both sides, especially when you have to pay for shipping - the parts are cheap.) You can find the p/n's here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ng-insert.html Mouser is a great place to order the parts from.

Step 3) Pry the insert out of the socket housing with a screw driver. You will probably destroy the old housing - that's OK.

Step 4) Once the insert is out, the wires will pull out of the old housing. Just put them back in the new housing the same way they came out. Then pop a new insert in and you are good to go.

The above is the least expensive way to do this and gets around splicing. Others will tell you to splice a new pigtail in. You'll be able to get a pigtail faster, but splicing has a lot of drawbacks, especially in areas that get exposed to weather.

You can look up the parts in this catalog on page 6.4 and get an idea of how the pieces fit together: http://delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochu...balCatalog.pdf
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

+1 on trying the hazzards. If they work, then the bubs, sockets, and wiring is fine.

A failing thermal flasher can also cause one side to light up and not the other. (There are posts here with people who had that issue and I've had it happen to me.) I'd try the flasher first. Its a lot less expensive and easier to install than a turn signal switch!
Will the flasher let one side work and not the other? I'm having the same problem with my '97 SS, I replaced the front left socket yesterday and I'm having the same problem. I even replaced the DRL moduel and checked all the bulbs and tried the flashers and all worked, I even checked the fuses. This is really pissing me off. I just can't pinpoint the problem. If it is the switch in the steering coloum will the dealer charge an arm and a leg to replace it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the right hand side DRL is brighter than the left.

Last edited by SSweet97; 04-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSweet97
Will the flasher let one side work and not the other? I'm having the same problem with my '97 SS, I replaced the front left socket yesterday and I'm having the same problem. I even replaced the DRL moduel and checked all the bulbs and tried the flashers and all worked, I even checked the fuses. This is really pissing me off. I just can't pinpoint the problem. If it is the switch in the steering coloum will the dealer charge an arm and a leg to replace it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the right hand side DRL is brighter than the left.
In my case the front left blinker bulb was out, after replacing it it started blinking again.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

In my case the front left blinker bulb was out, after replacing it it started blinking again.
Thanks for your reply but that wasn't the question I asked. I ended up replacing the socket and bulb and I still have the same problem. The problem has to be more complex than the socket and bulb.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by SSweet97
If the two sides are of a different brightness, then you have a wiring or bulb issue that needs to be worked out first.

Quick Reply: Blinker not functioning, ideas?