General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinker not functioning, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker not functioning, ideas?

So here's the problem. I turn my left blinker on and look down at the gauges, the green arrow lights up...but that's it, it lights up and doesn't blink and doesn't click. I got out and checked the lights myself. The rear left blinker, (yellow) lights up, but it doesn't blink. So I know the bulb is fine. The front left blinker doesn't light up at all, doesn't blink, doesn't flash, doesn't light up.

I'm really not sure what it is. Maybe the bulb in the front is out? But I don't think so. I thought about fuses, but am not sure if that's the problem. The one thing I am thinking the problem is, is the switch. The actual lever that sticks out the side of the steering column. I have a feeling something in there may have gone bad. My reason being is this:

The windshield wiper intermittent speed is all jacked up. I will put it on speed 1, the lowest setting, and it will automatically jump to speed 5, keep wiping back and forth. I put it on speed 2, and it stays on speed 5. And sometimes when I turn it off, it will take 5 seconds or so to actually respond and turn off. And someone told me that the reason it's doing that is because of the switch, the actual lever, and it would have to be replaced.

Any ideas please? I need my lights fixed.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

I've noticed on my car that if a rear blinker is out it will do that even when the front bulbs are good. The opposite has been true if the front bulb is out. I just recently put in new amber corners and replaced/rewired the melted sockets on my own car.

Will they blink with the flashers engaged?

Check out those rear bulbs and see if they're in good order. Your switch could be messed up considering your wiper issues, but check the bulbs first.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Stein
dum

You are probably low on fluid. Get some of this.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6
Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because the bulb lights up doesn't mean it's good. It sounds like a bulb to me, buy both and replacer their cheap and easy to do. I have seen many bulbs "burn out" but still light up.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jamal
Stein
dum

You are probably low on fluid. Get some of this.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6
What the hell are you talking about?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parks450
Just because the bulb lights up doesn't mean it's good. It sounds like a bulb to me, buy both and replacer their cheap and easy to do. I have seen many bulbs "burn out" but still light up.
Okay thanks. It's like $10 for both of the bulbs, I guess i can give that a try.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Low fluid? LOL J/K!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Okay thanks. It's like $10 for both of the bulbs, I guess i can give that a try.
Try the hazards first...if they all flash correctly with the hazards, the bulbs are not the problem...and then if the right signal works and left doesn't, the problem lies in the switch (or in the wiring to it) and not in the flasher module...if right and left both don't flash but the hazards work, it could be a problem with the flasher...the hazards use a seperate flasher from the turn signals...they look like little tin cans plugged into the panel under the dash...they're also very inexpensive to replace.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driver's side bulb is out. $2.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Gotta love the low blinker fluid. Its even funnier when someone actually goes looking for it.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had that problem. it was my two switch i think the dealer told me.

it was under warranty. they were about to go home. i said fine hook me up with a loaner. they stayed late and fixed it.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i had that problem. it was my two switch i think the dealer told me.

it was under warranty. they were about to go home. i said fine hook me up with a loaner. they stayed late and fixed it.
What is the two switch?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Try the hazards first...if they all flash correctly with the hazards, the bulbs are not the problem...and then if the right signal works and left doesn't, the problem lies in the switch (or in the wiring to it) and not in the flasher module...if right and left both don't flash but the hazards work, it could be a problem with the flasher...the hazards use a seperate flasher from the turn signals...they look like little tin cans plugged into the panel under the dash...they're also very inexpensive to replace.
+1 on trying the hazzards. If they work, then the bubs, sockets, and wiring is fine.

A failing thermal flasher can also cause one side to light up and not the other. (There are posts here with people who had that issue and I've had it happen to me.) I'd try the flasher first. Its a lot less expensive and easier to install than a turn signal switch!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

This is the thermal flasher I bought from Advance for $13. Do you think this will fix the problem?

Also, where exactly does this thing go? I've never had to install one before.
Attached Thumbnails Blinker not functioning, ideas?-img_20120214_194308.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Save the manuals!

This is the thermal flasher I bought from Advance for $13. Do you think this will fix the problem?

Also, where exactly does this thing go? I've never had to install one before.

The one you purchased is an electronic flasher - but yes, odds are it will fix your problem. (If your hazards worked fine.) The electronic flashers are more expensive, but they are less picky than the thermal flashers and should last longer.

When you put it in - beware of a common pitfall and make sure you replace the correct flasher. There are two flashers under the dash. (Some people replace the hazard flasher and wonder why the problem still persists.) The hazard flasher is on the left rib under the dash and the turn signal is on the right rib.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Default blinker

This is a common problem for most trans am's. The front blinker lights are poorly insulated and burn out from the elements.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by defeat54
The front blinker lights are poorly insulated and burn out from the elements.
Not really. The sockets are made by Delphi. Delphi has a low temperature version of the socket and a high temperature version. Our cars got the low temperature version and they degrade from the bulb heat. (The high temp version is outrageously expensive and not worth considering.)

... but that's not the issue here. The OP has a problem with the electrical system inside the car.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by defeat54
This is a common problem for most trans am's. The front blinker lights are poorly insulated and burn out from the elements.
Originally Posted by wssix99
Not really. The sockets are made by Delphi. Delphi has a low temperature version of the socket and a high temperature version. Our cars got the low temperature version and they degrade from the bulb heat. (The high temp version is outrageously expensive and not worth considering.)

... but that's not the issue here. The OP has a problem with the electrical system inside the car.
You're both right. It's not uncommon for these things to suck up and retain water and then cause temperature issues and affect both the bulb & the socket.

Having gone through this same saga before, a $2 light-bulb and a squirt of dielectric grease should be the first thing to troubleshoot here before dropping a coin on anything else.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So here's the problem. I turn my left blinker on and look down at the gauges, the green arrow lights up...but that's it, it lights up and doesn't blink and doesn't click. I got out and checked the lights myself. The rear left blinker, (yellow) lights up, but it doesn't blink. So I know the bulb is fine. The front left blinker doesn't light up at all, doesn't blink, doesn't flash, doesn't light up.

I'm really not sure what it is. Maybe the bulb in the front is out? But I don't think so. I thought about fuses, but am not sure if that's the problem. The one thing I am thinking the problem is, is the switch. The actual lever that sticks out the side of the steering column. I have a feeling something in there may have gone bad. My reason being is this:

The windshield wiper intermittent speed is all jacked up. I will put it on speed 1, the lowest setting, and it will automatically jump to speed 5, keep wiping back and forth. I put it on speed 2, and it stays on speed 5. And sometimes when I turn it off, it will take 5 seconds or so to actually respond and turn off. And someone told me that the reason it's doing that is because of the switch, the actual lever, and it would have to be replaced.

Any ideas please? I need my lights fixed.
If you have a steady light in the dash....its telling you one light or both lights have blown. If you change the front left bulb you should be ok again......

I've had a blinker bulb blow years ago and I think IIRC, thats exactly what happened to mine. I changed it and they've been fine since.

I'm pretty sure thats what mine did.......

Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

So can someone tell me if I wasted my money on buying the flasher? I still have it in the box and still have the receipt. Let me clarify this.

When I turn the hazard lights on, it flashes just fine. When I turn the blinker on, it lights up, the green arrow stays a steady green and the blinker is a steady yellow, no flash. So that must mean the bulb is fine, right?

Quick Reply: Blinker not functioning, ideas?