General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!! Oil pressure problems with ls6

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help!!! Oil pressure problems with ls6

i recently swapped my 5.3 in my chevy truck for a ls6 and everything it done. started the motor... no oil pressure ran for a minute and nothing i soaked me lifters primed my pump, new oring on the pickup tube... im lost an in need for help
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Im in the same boat!! I have a 98 TA that I swapped out the LS1 for an LS6. Its been line honed, new bearings (cam, main, rod), new ported oil pump, pistons, rods, rings, ctsv-r lifters (soaked) and had the motor primed at the shop via a vacuum system.

After we fired it up, the oil pressure dropped from about 50 to 30psi and stays there.....at 30psi...I've never taken it over 4k rpm, but when we hit the gas, oil pressure stays the same , or drops a bit! I put in a new oil pressure sending unit and installled an autometer full sweep electic gauge just to make sure there are no errors....still, both gauges read the same.

BTW, I've replaced the Oring on the pick up too. Im having the owner of an LS build shop come by and help me out. He is also the guy that machined and assembled the longblock. He said, " he's making a fitting to somehow prime the motor with the pan off to see where oil is hemoraging". I'm new to this technique so I probably didnt describe it to its best potential. He is thinking that it may be an issue with the ctsv-r lifters not working with the cam that I have. So, hopefully a lifter swap will fix the issue....if not......the motor comes out again!!! PM me if you find out your issue, I'll do the same! Good luck!

Last edited by AsEpSiS; 02-15-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 PM

im thinking mine is the lil dumbell plug behing the rear cover i cant remember if if there was one in there.... motor is frech outta the machine shop so i aint sure.. pulling the tranny tomorrow to check
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls6sierra
im thinking mine is the lil dumbell plug behing the rear cover i cant remember if if there was one in there.... motor is frech outta the machine shop so i aint sure.. pulling the tranny tomorrow to check
if its not there,,, YOu will have ZERO oil pressure, Did you prime the engine, You can do it without any special tools, What I always do works like a champ, I fill the engine with oil, then remove the oil filter, have someone turn the car over until you get oil coming out of the filter housing, Then put the oil filter back on, (FULL OF OIL) and turn the engine over until you see the oil coming out of the rockers,, Always works for me, and it dont take that long. I do it with the spark plugs removed, the coil pack harness unplugged, and the fuel pump relay out.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Oil pressure problems with ls6