General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 started sputtering and knocking... Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 started sputtering and knocking... Help please

2000 camaro ss convertible LS1 6MT 95XXX miles. Stock other than SLP cat back SLP thermostat and K&N filter.
This just happen today on my lunch break. Car was driving perfectly fine, then came to a stop light. Was stopped in neutral for about 20 seconds then the rpms just dropped to about 500 and car began to shake slightly. I gave it a little gas and it sputtered. Took off from light and it ran really rough sputtering and hesitating. I rolled down the window to park and could hear some knocking. I have since turned it off and left it sit for about 90 minutes.
Anyone have any insight on what may be wrong with it. I do not really want to drive her home from work for fear that I may cause more damage?, because I am unsure on how serious it is.
Please, any help is greatly appreiciated.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

knocking could be alot of things. could be a spun bearing. how is your oil pressure? could be a failed lifter. could be a bent pushrod. is it throwing any codes?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after work I was able to take a look under the hood with my buddy and we quickly discovered that the #3 plug wire had come off... Pushed her back on and she runs like a top again. Still shows CEL, I will get that scanned tomorrow. Not sure what was causing the knocking, It hasn't done it since. Scared the **** out of me though. Oil pressure stays between 35 and 65 depending on driving style.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes it takes a while for the CEL to clear itself. Try driving it around for 20-50miles and see if it goes out. It just sounds like the plugwire came off and the code is still logged. Disconnecting the battery won't clear it either. I tried that when I replaced one of my O2 sensors, but it went out on it's own before I had a chance to get to a scanner.