General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pretty sure my oil pump is going out...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty sure my oil pump is going out...

Like the title says. When my foot is on the gas oil pressure is fine but when it's idling oil pressure cuts in half and kind of fluctuates. It is the oil pump right? How do I change it and do I have to drop the engine? I have no clue where the oil pump is or how to change it lol. So a write-up would be nice lol. It's a 2000 trans am.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any bearing noise? The spec for oil pressure is like 6 psi warm so you can run low and be okay, but for it to be fluctuating.... I would probably replace it. Because once it goes out completely you're gonna spin a bearing if its not caught RIGHT away.

The oil pump is behind the crankshaft pulley. Gotta take the pulley and front cover off to do just the pump. To replace the pickup tube the oil pan has to come down as well. Not a job for an afternoon, but totally possible with the right tools and engine support.

Someone else may chime in if they know LS1 bottom ends better but I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. My father in law just spun a bearing in his 01 SS because the oil pump went out.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are various causes of insufficient oil pressure:
- damaged o-ring where pickup tube goes into oil pump;
- damaged oil pump;
- cam bearing walked causing internal leak;
- worn/spun crank bearings causing internal leak;
- restricted oil passages between pump and main galley;
- insufficient clearance under oil pickup;
- external leak (e.g. pressure sending unit);
- others;

So an oil pump may not necessarily fix the problem.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I would probably replace the sending unit before worrying about pump replacement. Or at least verify pressure with an external mechanical gauge.

An oil pump swap is a big job to do just to possibily find out that the problem was an aging sending unit all along. I would hate to do all that for nothing.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your oil pump is located in the oil pan and is bolted to the bottom of the engine and is driven off the crank shaft or is bolted to the front of the engine and has a pick-up tube in the oil pan depending on the engine. Oil pumps do not create pressure, they move volume. the oil pressure is created by all the restrictions in your engine for the oil to pass thru like the crank shaft and rod bearings and the lifters. Basically everything joecar listed is what creates the pressure so if there's damage to any of those you will have insufficient oil pressure and its not due to the pump itself
Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the sending unit. Mine did the same thing yours is doing. Replaced it, and everything worked fine. Start with the easy stuff first instead of tearing **** apart only to find out it was something simple.

Quick Reply: Pretty sure my oil pump is going out...