General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

trans am parking lights filling up with water?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does anyone know of any more replacement lenses that are glass instead of plastic ?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remove wires from socket?

Can't find any glass ones either. I'll probably just order new plastic ones. I also need new sockets but don't want to splice any wires if I don't have to. Anybody know if the wires can be taken out of the old socket and put into the new one? I have seen references to removing a center plug and the 3 wires come out like some of the Delphi connectors. I have no faith in butt connectors and laying under a soldering iron is less than appealing to me...
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I answered my own question about removing the wires from the socket. It's pretty easy...just pop out the inner socket part and pull out the wires. I'll try attaching a pic. Also, the 3157 replacement bulb socket works fine. Nice to know that you can just replace them when they melt with no splicing.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbee
I answered my own question about removing the wires from the socket. It's pretty easy...just pop out the inner socket part and pull out the wires. I'll try attaching a pic. Also, the 3157 replacement bulb socket works fine. Nice to know that you can just replace them when they melt with no splicing.

FYI - All of these components can be had individually from Mouser: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ng-insert.html

Depending on how much you order and how you work the shipping, ordering the components from Mouser can be far less expensive than getting them from a pigtail assembly.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Teching In

$8.00 plus tax at oreillys for entire socket with wires seems pretty cheap.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbee
$8.00 plus tax at oreillys for entire socket with wires seems pretty cheap.
It's less than half that from Mouser and if you do both sides, it should cover the shipping also. As a bonus, you'll get actual Delphi parts.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome, thanks for the added info guys. coming up on rainy season here so I will need to do this soon to keep from going through bulbs again. been dray last few months so all has been well. but I know it's coming
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Great info wsix99!

Aside from a few parts these 4th gens are 20 year old motor technology. Good to know what repairs works without hacking things up.

In case the obvious hasn't been mentioned... drilling holes to let moisture out only leads to more problems.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Bigbee and wssix99 thanks for the pix and info
Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

little update here, I was doing some other work on the car a couple weeks ago and had some down time waiting on parts so I pulled these lenses out. turns out right above the bulbs the plastic was melted and had opened up a split. I cleaned them off and covered the splits with aluminum roofing tape (the foil stuff, not the gooey tar stuff) that I had from my previous job. pleased to report I have no more issues witht his now. as I'm sure you guys have seen we have a tropical storm currently stalled over us here in FL so it has been being hit pretty hard from all angles with water an d so far so good. free fix ftw!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed water enters through the middle of the lens. I discovered this when polishing the lenses. There are two seams about half inch apart that run vertical in the center of the lens. These seams are where the "pattern" changes in the clear lens. If you rub liquid polish or wax on the lens you will see how it enters these seams and goes inside the lens....exactly where waters enters. The gap is so small you can't notice it with the eye. But pressure with a rag or hose will definitely push liquids through these seams. I am applying a skinny strip of super glue over the seams of my the new lenses.

The clear lens should have been made as one solid piece.

I found a seller on ebay (TPI_Parts) that is using the original Mouser/Delphi parts mentioned above to reconstruct the sockets for the bulbs. They are only $15+$3 instead of the $81 quoted by the local chevy dealer, who laughed with me about that price.

Quick Reply: trans am parking lights filling up with water?