General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do you get the center console off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you get the center console off?

2000 Camaro:

I've got the interior torn out for RattleTrap install and I've always had a bitch of a time getting the darn center console off and up/over the ebrake. Normally I just crank the ebrake up real hard and hope/pray that I don't break anything.

It looks like you could possibly take the ebrake off to make it easier, but the bolts are kinda hard to get to, even with a 1/4".
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When i remove mine I just pull it up as far as I can, them I put masking tape over the leather handle so not to damage the leather and pull the console up over the handle. I have before also done what you have described.....just yank it a good shot and it goes past the limit. So far I've been lucky and have not broken anything. lol
Old 02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a lever on the inside of the Ebrake handle, that you can move and it will disengage the lever from the ratchet mechanism. It is almost impossible for me to describe and tell you exactly what it looks like, but once you get your console high enough, you can reach in and move it off the teeth of the mechanism and the handle will go as far back as you need.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ THAT is a huge help! I'll go look here in a minute.

-=EDIT=-

Found it.. It's a release/adjuster pawl on the pass side, outer ebrake "gear." I guess you can use it to adjust the ebrake handle itself. If the brakes are tight, but the handle still goes up too far, you can use that to adjust the ebrake handle.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-26-2012 at 08:21 PM.