General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Do I need a new window motor? Regulater? or both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a new window motor? Regulater? or both?

Window goes down 3" stops, then it doesn't do anything. 5 minutes later it goes down another 5" then stops. It does this going down and up. Motor?

What is the motor or part# I need? 99ta driverside window. I've looked but I'm confused between motor...regulater.. or both. I'm pretty sure it's the motor seeing as the window does go up and down with alot of 5min breaks inbetween.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the door panel off, empty a can of WD-40 into the motor and all over it. Smack the door where the motor is mounted with a hammer (rubber mallet if you have one) while pressing the switch up and down.......

That frees them up ALLOT of the time. If it does it'll probably be good for another 5 years. I did mine years ago, maybe 3-4 and its still working perfectly. It would get stuck just like yours does.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The motor is most likely dying. There is a thermal circuit breaker built into the motor. When the motor sees more resistance than it should, that builds up heat which kills the motor. It's designed to cut out in case someone gets their arm or something caught in the window while it's rolling up.

Dorman is the recommended brand replacement, you can find it at part stores.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try the door smack method first...If that fails then I'll replace the motor.