General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PITA air in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the weird thing, no I didn't have an air pocket and the radiator. Before getting in this pile that I'm stuck in now, I never had a problem with over heating. But since I have started the process (read like 4-5 times) I have not been able to get it right. I work 3rd but I might say F sleep and go try again since it is supposed to be nice today...

Oh and as I was filling radiator, it would over flow. It actually filled up the over flow tank. So I had to get and old syphon and get it back to where it needed to be.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cold engine:

You need to remove the t-stat from the t-stat housing, then bolt the housing back onto the water pump.

Top off the coolant in the radiator, leave the radiator cap off, start the engine, top off coolant again if needed.

The coolant should flow IMMEDIATELY...........if it does flow......go get a new t-stat, its sticking and not operating properly all the time.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Launching!

So I ended up pouring coolant in tie upper hose and that seemed to do it...so I guess that next to nothing was in the block...it took almost a whole gallon. Idled and cooled twice, topped off and went and kicked the car around town...will check again tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
So I ended up pouring coolant in tie upper hose and that seemed to do it...so I guess that next to nothing was in the block...it took almost a whole gallon. Idled and cooled twice, topped off and went and kicked the car around town...will check again tomorrow.
Cool, I mean good, I mean cool.......well you know.......lol

Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Lol, yeah I just hope it stays that way so I can move to more important things... like repacking all my idlers and tensioner pulleys to get rid of this god awful chirp/squeak I have had since the end of last season.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
Lol, yeah I just hope it stays that way so I can move to more important things... like repacking all my idlers and tensioner pulleys to get rid of this god awful chirp/squeak I have had since the end of last season.
You don't need to replace the idler pullies. Just take them off, pull the seal off, and pack the bearings with fresh grease. They'll quit making noise and work good as new.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Launching!

.... uh, lol

Ok

Quick Reply: PITA air in cooling system