General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 starting problem (Clicking then starting)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012 | 12:45 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 starting problem (Clicking then starting)

I have had this problem for a bout a week on my 98 Z28. When I go to start the vehicle I hear a click and nothing happens. I repeat this cycle several times and it finally starts. My battery is good/fully charged, I had my starter/Alt tested at Autozone last week and they said it was good. Any ideas such as a bad wire connection?

I have also had another problem for the last couple years but it is more of a bother than a problem. When I go to start the vehicle, it turns over but does not start. You can hear it trying to start and it won't start unless I give it some gas.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

-VortecLS1
Old 03-02-2012 | 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The clicking sounds like a friends problem. His starter was bad. Vatozone tested my alt and said it was good. It wasnt. Smh.

As for the not turning. Can you hear the fuel pump prime? If you turn the car to accessory 2 or 3 times will the car on fine?
Old 03-02-2012 | 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where does the clicking come from? If its the engine bay id imagine its the starter.
Old 03-05-2012 | 12:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I can hear the fuel pump prime everytime. The clicking sound is coming from the the engine bay. I had my brother start it while I looked at the engine. I can see a spark coming from the starter area when it clicks. I will try to get under there today or tomorrow to see if anything is touching.

Thanks again

-VortecLS1
Old 03-05-2012 | 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

startor motor selinoid...?
Old 03-08-2012 | 06:06 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I had Sears look at it during an oil change and they said it is a bad starter. I will take it off and take a look at it. Anyone have any websites with reasonable priced starters? Thanks

-VortecLS1

Quick Reply: LS1 starting problem (Clicking then starting)