General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant leak under water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Coolant leak under water pump

Drove home from work today and found coolant leaking from what appears to be from the bottom of the water pump. After it stopped leaking i dried it up and started the car. It didn't start leaking right away, i guess once the t-sat open it started dripping again. It looks like its only on the bottom of the pump, like its coming from the seam on the pump (see pics). Im assuming the pump is bad ? Is there a tutorial on changing the pump (never changed one)? I'm off from work tomorrow and need to fix this asap, its my daily driver.
2000 T/A 63k miles
Thanks

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 2611
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 2907
Size:  37.3 KB

Last edited by Blue2KTA; 03-06-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could just be a water pump gasket, and the drip is collection there. The gaskets are very easy to replace. Remove the intake lid/maf/bellow, and maybe the TB to give yourself more room, and pull the belt. Undo 6 bolts, and take it on out after you drain what you can from the radiator.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
could just be a water pump gasket, and the drip is collection there. The gaskets are very easy to replace. Remove the intake lid/maf/bellow, and maybe the TB to give yourself more room, and pull the belt. Undo 6 bolts, and take it on out after you drain what you can from the radiator.
After I dried everything I waited for it to leak again, watching both sides of the pump. When it started leaking both far sides were dry but the middle was wet. If it was the gaskets would it be leaking more on the side ?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Besides a new water pump, gaskets and coolant is there anything else that I will need ? Going to do an online order (store pickup) with Advanced Auto and use a $50 off 150 coupon code. How much coolant will come out after draining the radiator and removing the pump ?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blue2KTA
Besides a new water pump, gaskets and coolant is there anything else that I will need ? Going to do an online order (store pickup) with Advanced Auto and use a $50 off 150 coupon code. How much coolant will come out after draining the radiator and removing the pump ?
Anyone ? Placing the order this morning.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Teching In

One gallon of coolant will get job done, mix 50/50 with water should be more than enough.

Chris
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

The coolant, pump, and gaskets (your pump may come with the gaskets!) may be all you need, BUT... GM changed the pump design in the middle of the production run. So you should check which type you have and match the thermostat housing to the specific pump you have.

If your current thermostat is the old design, it and the thermostat neck may not fit your new pump. (The old pumps were phased out by GM in the supply chain, but its possible some could be around in warehouses.) The only way to know for sure is to check the number on the castings.

More info on the phase-out: http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/10JTI-064.pdf

Thermostats don't last forever, so while you are replacing the pump, it might be a good idea to just change the thermostat, anyway. (Just be sure to get one of the new ones with the integral neck.)

Here's a thread with some pictures of someone who had a pump-to-thermostat issue. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...a-fitting.html

If you cross reference your new part numbers to the 2004 GTO, that should confirm that the pump you are getting and the thermostat will go together properly and are both of the new/updated design. (I recall that the pump switch-over took place before the GTO went in to production.)

When you do the replacement, all you need to do is make sure the coolant is drained in the radiator below the level of the pump. (I was lazy and used a siphon to suck the fluid out of the top of the radiator. I recall needing to drain around 1 and 1/2 gallons out.) Even then, you will probably get 1/2 to 1 cup of coolant spill out when you remove the pump. Just a few towels underneath should catch all of that.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

same happen to me , thought it was the WP gaskets but it was de water pump itself , change it in no time for mind peace ...

remember to torque it right 11 ft on first pass and 22 on last
Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the info. Replaced it today. R & R went ok even for a novice lol. I even cleaned the throttle body since i had to took it off.
I went with the pump from Advance Auto (lifetime warranty). Spent $120 out the door for the pump, coolant, permatex rtv and thread sealant (had a $50 off $150 coupon code)

Name:  IMG_4908Small.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  49.1 KB
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Funny my waterpump is doing the same thing. So this morning I did the same thing as you at advanced auto. I one upped you thou. I used my navyfed rewards card and if I order online I get 6 times the reward points per dollar. Its great to be savvy in these days. Ill be doing my pump tomorrow morning. My car has 69k.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fc_soldier
Funny my waterpump is doing the same thing. So this morning I did the same thing as you at advanced auto. I one upped you thou. I used my navyfed rewards card and if I order online I get 6 times the reward points per dollar. Its great to be savvy in these days. Ill be doing my pump tomorrow morning. My car has 69k.

Nice !

Make sure you flush out the new pump before installing it.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue2KTA
Thanks for all the info. Replaced it today. R & R went ok even for a novice lol. I even cleaned the throttle body since i had to took it off.
I went with the pump from Advance Auto (lifetime warranty). Spent $120 out the door for the pump, coolant, permatex rtv and thread sealant (had a $50 off $150 coupon code)
How did your thermostat fit?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
How did your thermostat fit?

Bolted right up.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting that no one mentioned this, but it should make you feel good: The water pump has a weep hole for when the bearings start to go bad internally. When that happens, coolant should drip from this hole which is designed to let you know that the pump needs replacing. It's hard to tell from your photos, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was exactly what occurred.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Interesting that no one mentioned this, but it should make you feel good: The water pump has a weep hole for when the bearings start to go bad internally. When that happens, coolant should drip from this hole which is designed to let you know that the pump needs replacing. It's hard to tell from your photos, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was exactly what occurred.
I read about the weep hole from other threads. I agree with you 100%. When I was under there watching it leak it was only coming from the center, nothing left or right .

Quick Reply: Coolant leak under water pump