General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

my temp is reading a little high

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my temp is reading a little high

for the mods that i have which would make more heat (L.T headers, cam, and a 4000 stall) and i believe it does have a stock thermostat.. is it normal for this setup to have a temp of 210+ but not overheating

i have a interceptor gauge so i no the accurate reading of the temp.

i bought a 160 stat, will this resolve this problem???

even after 30 min of driving normally it will still sit between 200-218 in 50degree weather
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It would drive me nuts if my temps were at 218......but allot of people here will tell you thats just fine.

Are you talking about 30 minutes highway cruising or city driving....and its at 218?

If highway, thats about 28 degress hotter than mine. If 30 minutes city driving, warm day....thats not bad at all.

Also....you know what I found works best..FOR MY 427ci.....and I found it by accident maybe 4 months ago when my t-stat went bad. I've been PCM tuned (the fans) for a 160* t-stat since my 427ci went in back in 2002, it ran COOOOOL. But when I would run the A/C in the summer and I did allot of city driving, it would get up to 220.
About 4 months ago I couldn't find a 160 locally so I put a 180 in. Same PCM tune for the 160.

Now it runs about 10 degrees hotter in city driving no A/C, which is still only about 195ish.......but when I need my A/C on a hot as day....it runs about 10 degrees cooler than before, so about 210 at most. I Love it.....

So, I like the 180 t-stat with my 160* tune.....works awesome over-all.....

Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thermostat does not regulate the maximum operating temperature, it sets the minimum operating temperature.

What controls where the temp actually stays is the fan on and off temps. Stock fan "On" settings are 226F low and and 234F high speed (at least for an '01).

So the question becomes: what problem are you addressing exactly?

If you really want to lower your operating temp, then a lower temp thermostat is not going to affect temps except perhaps at long cruise. That is unless you reprogram the fan speeds as well. There is some room to lower the stock settings with the stock thermostat though. Additionally, the AC will affect fan on/off (since it needs airflow over the condenser to work) and so my coolant temp is usually a little lower with the AC on because it is running the fans more.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The thermostat does not regulate the maximum operating temperature, it sets the minimum operating temperature.

What controls where the temp actually stays is the fan on and off temps. Stock fan "On" settings are 226F low and and 234F high speed (at least for an '01).

So the question becomes: what problem are you addressing exactly?

If you really want to lower your operating temp, then a lower temp thermostat is not going to affect temps except perhaps at long cruise. That is unless you reprogram the fan speeds as well. There is some room to lower the stock settings with the stock thermostat though. Additionally, the AC will affect fan on/off (since it needs airflow over the condenser to work) and so my coolant temp is usually a little lower with the AC on because it is running the fans more.
Having the 180* t-stat in mine now allows the HOT coolant that just went into the radiator...a longer sitting time to be cooled by ram air and fan assitance. It must get 20* degrees hotter now till my t0stat opens, which means cooler coolant going back into the engine/heads. This must trump the fact that the coolant in the engine is also sitting there longer and getting hotter longer before it has a chance to go into the radiator to start cooling off....otherwise I would run hotter in both situations. I don't......I run a tad hotter in one situation, which is still really cool....and I run cooler when it counts with the A/C on during city driving......that I like.

I run cooler with my A/C on, fans were never touched. Just a hotter t-stat (160 - 180). But as I said, normal city driving "no" A/C, I run about 10* derees hotter, which is still cool at under 200.

All I did was change the t-stat.

I'm thinking of hooking up a fan switch so I can use them with A/C "off" when I want to drive aggressively.........

Last edited by LS6427; 03-05-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

the stock temp gauge is VERY optimistic......your mileage may vary

Last edited by sjsingle1; 03-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that is the correct temp reading , it woudl be too high for me. Check the raditor airflow for obstructions like plastic bags, etc,.... are the electric fans turning on?

If you have the original temp sensor, I would swap that back in and see what it reads...

Quick Reply: my temp is reading a little high