General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hatch won't close...please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hatch won't close...please help

My car is an 02 Camaro with 20k miles so everything is in great shape overall. I had my hatch opened to put something in the trunk, and when I went to close it, all I get is a thud. I examined the latch, and the black pieces that roll with each other as the loop comes down are operating fine. It looks like the piece thats blocking it is the gold arm connected to the spring. The gold arm moves when I push down on it, but it seems really hard to push down on it. So what happens when I try to close the hatch is the loop on the hatch cant seem to push down on the golden arm. Its almost like the spring is too tight, but this has never happened before so I dont know whats wrong. I have searchedand searched and cant find any threads on this particular issue. Please post any feedback or help. Thank you
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Just an update. I unhooked the spring that attaches to the gold arm and it is still not closing right. I guess the spring wasnt the issue. Any help is appreciated
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

you pushing it down is it suppose to be popped up? try unlocking it with key while prying locking mech upwards, the hook on the trunk should push the hook bottom down and go over the top of the latch
Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

i dont know what the pieces are called, but the gold arm piece im talking about is on a spring that keeps it up until the loop on the hatch pushes it down. but i already unhooked the spring and took that whole arm piece out of tghe equation. the other 2 black pieces inside the mechanism are functioning fine, i just dont understand why the hatch wont close completely. it doesnt even sound normal. i should hear 2 clicks in closing the hatch completely...the first click doesnt sound normal and there is no second click, it just doesnt wana close any further. when i try to push it down further i hear a bad thud coming from underneath the hatch around the loop area
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Can you post a pic of your latch?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

I can later on, I was just hoping someone else had experience with the same issue. I don't really understand what happened. I put a new spoiler on last week and its been closing fine for the past week. The only thing I did yesterday was put the underside hatch panel back on yesterday and I'm not sure what that would have to do with it. I'm not thinking its a strut issue, so I'm wondering what's going on with the latch.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Are you sure its the latch? Could some of the bumpers in the corner of the hatch be keeping it from shutting?

I recall others posting problems like this when the latch shut and didn't grab the striker. If this is what is happening to you, I'd expect you'd hear a metallic thud when trying to shut the hatch. (Turning the hatch key and prying the bars up with a screwdriver should fix that, if its happening.)

Or you might use a screw driver (with the hatch open) to simulate the striker hitting the latch to see what is going on. The catch is that hatch spring is strong and you'll need a lot of leverage to "shut" the latch without the weight of the hatch coming down on it.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

what bumpers are u talking about? do you mean the rubber stops that twist in and out to adjust the quench located in the corners of the hatch?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Raise
what bumpers are u talking about? do you mean the rubber stops that twist in and out to adjust the quench located in the corners of the hatch?
Affirmative.

One other thing you might look at are the hinges at the top of the hatch. Some people have had issues with those things coming undone/unbonded. If those hinges aren't on properly, they could bind up.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

thanks buddy, ill go check both. also, i do hear a metallic thud, but only after the first catch is made. however, the first catch sounds different than normal and when i try to close it it isnt making the second catch, but it makes a horrible noice even when i press down gradually instead of slamming it. it feels like its hitting a wall and i can feel it underneath my hand through the hatch, like its something right underneath...around the latch area. the thing is i havent touched anything, so i dont know why anything would be out of whack
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

ok so heres what happened. i turned the rubber bumpstops in a couple turns and the hatch closed fine. however, im kinda puzzled. they were both at an even height, so while i know i havent backed them out, its hard to imagine they backed themselves out an even amount, as it takes a bit of effort to turn them by hand. im wondering if turning them in just acted as a bandaid, like im covering up the real problem. for example, what if the whole latch assembly had come loose and slid down a bit? that would explain the need to turn in the bump stomps wouldnt it? the problem with this theory is...i unbolted the whole latch assembly yesterday after this started, just to examine it, and the bolts were tight. so i bolted it right back in the same spot it was. any ideas??
Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Save the manuals!

With the hatch shut, try to pull up on it. If it doesn't budge, you should be good.

I'll bet there was either:
- A problem with the latch that you fixed when you took it off. OR
- The stops or the top positioning got just a little off while you were messing with the trim and wing.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

I'll check it out today and see. Thanks a bunch for your help buddy
Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raise
for example, what if the whole latch assembly had come loose and slid down a bit?
That is possible. You may want to realign everything. Unbolt the latch completely and remove it. Then adjust the hatch stops so the hatch sits flush with the quarterpanels. Then reinstall the latch and adjust it up or down until the hatch closes like it should.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

My hatch wouldn't close today. I guess the sensor wasn't seeing it was closed or it wasn't closing far enough. I took a screw driver, and pressed down really hard till the motor clicked. I think I got lucky, but it's worth a shot to try this if it won't latch.

Quick Reply: Hatch won't close...please help