General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01 Camaro Gauge Bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Camaro Gauge Bouncing

I recently purchased a 01 z28 and have a gauge problem. All the gauges except the speedometer will goto zero, and then the check gauges light and the Service Vehicle lights come on. This usualy happens after I start the car and start accelerating. Once I quit accelerating and let of the gas pedal, the gauges come back to life. The guy I purchased the car from said that the car started doing it after someone jumped the car off. Had the alternator tested and it came back okay. Havent replaced the battery yet. Im assuming here that there is a wire shorting out or somthing along these lines that is moving while im accelerating and letting off the gas.. Just wondering if anyone had a good starting point.

Another issue the car has is in regards to the A/C and heat. The AC works perfectly and the heat but when I try to change where the air comes out of, it wont switch over. Its stuck on defrost and blowing on the feet, no matter where you placed the selector.. These are the only two issues iv ran into as of lately.. Any help or a starting direction would greatly be appreciated..
Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#HVAC_vacuum

This should get you somewhere on your dash vents, Reset you PCM maybe jumping it casuse a problem.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by JRClaborn
The guy I purchased the car from said that the car started doing it after someone jumped the car off. Had the alternator tested and it came back okay.
Rule #1. Never trust a used car salesman...

I'd suggest getting the alternator tested yourself, to confirm.

You might also have a bad exciter wire (its common for these to get f-'d up during alternator replacements) or a loose belt. (If the belt slips, the alternator won't turn correctly.)