General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Header bolts keep popping off

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header bolts keep popping off

so I've been using the same headers for over 6 yrs now. i did a H/C swap and kept the same headers. but when i finally got everything together i stripped out the bolt holes and sent the head to a machine shop to install helicoils. now the very back header bolt has popped off and the third from last is rounded out. i dunno what it might be. Is the header warped where it meets the head? it is kinda old. I'll still have to get new helicoils so thats not a big problem. hmmmm i dunno.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am gonna take a shot at this, and say that if your bolts keep popping out...you either
A. ripped them threads up in the cylinder head.
or
B. instead of the bolt having a nice sharp thread, theyve got rounded down threads not allowing you to bolt it down and have it tighten...

im more so gonna say A. i personally have never seen or heard of a header flange warping..even if that were the case, itd rip them weak aluminum thread right out...like whats happening.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

most definitely taking off the head but I'm curious to why they keep popping off? i can hear my valve train on that side pretty bad lol.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude honestly if it were me, i would probably buy an assembled head and be done with it, you can pick them up cheap