General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

3rd gen firebird headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen firebird headlight motor

my girlfriends cousin has an '86 firebird and the drivers side headlight wont pop up. now this is an area of these cars that i know very little about so this may sound dumb, but i was messing with it and there's a little **** next to the motor and if you turn it and mess with it a little, the motor will come on and it'll pop up perfectly. i have very little experiance with pop up headlights, having only owned camaro's, so i don't want to just assume the motor's bad and replace it for nothing. especially since when you play with that ****(don't know what it actually is) it comes on and works perfect. any ideas? thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That **** is used to raise and/or lower the light manually when the motor really does take a ****.

You could just have a case of the plastic gear inside the motor getting stripped......when they start stripping they act all weird. Thats one of things they will do, not come up, then they will, then they won't. It will also start to affect the other motor and how it acts. It can't hurt the other side, but it can make both sides act all wacky.

Do the gear flip procedure, takes 15 minutes and its free.
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide

Quick Reply: 3rd gen firebird headlight motor