General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Write up for steering rack replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no nut, just a shaft coming out of the unit and from what I gather there is a seal around that that I can't get out and I'm not sure if I need to remove the entire rack in order to replace the seal. if so, I'll just replace the whole rack
Old 06-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Teching In

To the people who have cut the bolt off. How did you do it? I'm in the middle of swapping my rack out and its the only thing stopping it from coming out.

I have a Sawzall and a new 6" heavy duty metal blade. I don't think it's long enough, and I'm not sure there is space to maneuver it back to cut on the bolt. I'm an amateur with a Sawzall as well, truthfully a little scared of it.

Has anyone ever tried bolt cutters?

Thanks in advance. I'm a Noob when it comes to working on these 4th Gens.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unsivil_audio
To the people who have cut the bolt off. How did you do it? I'm in the middle of swapping my rack out and its the only thing stopping it from coming out.

I have a Sawzall and a new 6" heavy duty metal blade. I don't think it's long enough, and I'm not sure there is space to maneuver it back to cut on the bolt. I'm an amateur with a Sawzall as well, truthfully a little scared of it.

Has anyone ever tried bolt cutters?

Thanks in advance. I'm a Noob when it comes to working on these 4th Gens.
I just did this the other night. I used a sawzall to cut the drivers side bolt. I used the original bolt upside down on the drivers side. You may be able to get bolt cutters on there but it'd be a pain. I just kept the nut on there at the end of the threads and used a socket to hold it up.

A 1/2" bolt was too big for me to replace the one I cut on the passenger side. I had to use a 7/16" x 3". I got the replacement rack from rackdoctor.com.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a sawzall and burnt through 2 biablo blades just to get half way through. At that point I took a chisel and a hammer broke the head of the bolt off and pulled it through the bottom. I then took the passenger side bolt to a fastenal and got a bolt the same size to replace the broken drivers side bolt. I put it in upside down.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I lifted the motor to get that bolt out. it wasn't bad doing it this way. I had to pull the alternator to get the rack out anyway so I had access to the bolt to the MM
Old 05-05-2018, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm no. Those look like they are remans as they require a core back.

Quick Reply: Write up for steering rack replacement?