General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with a squeak/rattle (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with a squeak/rattle (video inside)

Anybody know what is causing the sound in this video?
I've changed the tensioner and the sound doesn't change if the A/C is on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIqDmBu0FY
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your AC Compressor is starting to lock up bud.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Sounds like your AC Compressor is starting to lock up bud.
A little more information on when this started:

Over the weekend I flushed my power steering and my coolant. At the same time, I also deleted my power steering cooler. The sound started while I was bleeding the air out of the coolant(had already finished the power steering).

I first turned off the car and threw some lubricant into the tensioner pulley, but that didn't do anything.

I later sprayed some lubricant into the tensioner and the sound stopped for a couple of minutes, so I installed a new tensioner, but the sound still happened.

I'm now guessing that while I was spraying lubricant into the tensioner, some lubricant fell onto something else that stopped the noise??

The car seems fine other than the noise. It doesn't overheat, engine sounds fine revving, A/C is still ice cold.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

You can try spraying some lubricant on one thing at a time until the noise stops, and that should help find the culprit. From the sound I hear on the vid, and your description of it only occuring when the AC is on my guess would be its the AC Compressor. It sounds like it is starting to lock up on you.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stippy17
You can try spraying some lubricant on one thing at a time until the noise stops, and that should help find the culprit. From the sound I hear on the vid, and your description of it only occuring when the AC is on my guess would be its the AC Compressor. It sounds like it is starting to lock up on you.
I didn't say it only occurs when the A/C is on. I said the sound doesn't change if I turn on the A/C. I.e. the sound is the same if the A/C is on or off.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Regardless. Spray one thing down with lubricant at a time til the noise goes away. You did say that worked before you replaced the idler pulley. It could be a power steering noise. It's possible there isn't enough fluid in the reservoir, or you hurt the pump while flushing the system. Orrrr it could be something else. How does your Serp Belt look? A/C Belt? They can squeek.