General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Doing Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Doing Ball Joints

Alright, so I'm Going to attempt to do both my upper and lower ball joints tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had some pointers for me before I begin. I just did my tie rod ends today, which was pretty simple, and I don't think the uppers will be much of a problem. The lower ball joints on the other hand, from what I've read, are a PITA. Does anyone have any secret methods they would like to share with me? Or could someone point me in the direction of a useful write up?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend is a tech at a dealership...he did his upper and lower ball joints on his factory arms. He said he will never, ever do it again. He said it took him 8 hours I think. Blow torches, presses, drilling, banging.

I just bought both upper arms and both lower arms on here, used with 10,000 miles. $45.00. Bolt them on and your done.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Well I already have my new ball joints and I am going to do them. I don't care how hard it is for some ppl, I just want to know how to do it. I understand that it's not going to be easy.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Banned

My friend told me it took old fashioned torching, smacking with chizels and using the press. It took him a week, working on them little by little at home.

I also called a couple mobile car mechanics to come over and do the job....they both refused. The shops that said they would do it were going to charge $500.00 to do it just for labor for all 4 arms.

Good luck with them though.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

REMOVAL i hit the lower out with a hammer (BFH) the top has rivets take a dremel tool cut an X in the rivet head take your BFH and a chisel knock the head off the rivet then take your punch and tap the rivet out or drill

INSTALLATION i press the lower ones in find a machine shop but make sure the are careful, or you can load the control with a jack put the balljoint in the ball joint recess and smack the **** out of the control arm the top ones bolt once you get the rivets out I AM A GENERAL MOTORS MASTER TECH AND CAN DO ALL 4 ARMS IN ABOUT 2 HRS AND THEN ALIGNMENT good luck buddy and props on wanting to do it yourself also are you going to remove the arms if so control arm bushings if ya can find them
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fastazzls1
REMOVAL i hit the lower out with a hammer (BFH) the top has rivets take a dremel tool cut an X in the rivet head take your BFH and a chisel knock the head off the rivet then take your punch and tap the rivet out or drill

INSTALLATION i press the lower ones in find a machine shop but make sure the are careful, or you can load the control with a jack put the balljoint in the ball joint recess and smack the **** out of the control arm the top ones bolt once you get the rivets out I AM A GENERAL MOTORS MASTER TECH AND CAN DO ALL 4 ARMS IN ABOUT 2 HRS AND THEN ALIGNMENT good luck buddy and props on wanting to do it yourself also are you going to remove the arms if so control arm bushings if ya can find them
What would you charge to all 4 arms...all bushings....just labor if the parts were supplied?

Arms already removed of course.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. I don't want to remove the control arms if I don't have to, otherwise I would do the bushings as well. Whats your opinion on using the C-clamp method to get the lower ones out? This will be my first time replacing them so what tools do yo recommend to do the bottom ones without removing the A-arms.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If your arms are already removed, you can go to a local shop and ask them to press out the old, and press in the new;

they will charge something like $15-$20 per joint/bushing.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

tops are easy.........bottoms.......pay someone
Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I did mine yesterday with a 12 ton press. It was not hard at all. Contrary to popular belief, a special fixture is absolutely not required. I had some random pieces of pipe laying around that were the correct dimensions and it was just a matter of getting everything in-place and pressing. If you are inexperienced with a press i would recommend letting a shop do it. And to the BFH guy above, you should stop giving people advice.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok whatever i have done it this way for ever smack the ball joint out if you are smart you wont destroy the arm, cause i am sure he doesnt have a ******* 12 ton press lol
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my uppers no problem a while back took about 45 minutes just torched the rivets.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

and what is so bad about my method it works if you dnt have a ******* 12 ton press if you can tell me why this would not work i am all ears if you hit the ball joint your fine so i think you could do more damage with a 12 ton press than a ******* sledge hammer
Old 12-25-2015, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

and what is so bad about my method it works if you dnt have a ******* 12 ton press if you can tell me why this would not work i am all ears if you hit the ball joint your fine so i think you could do more damage with a 12 ton press than a ******* sledge hammer
I know this is old ..... but I had to ....

I'm not a fan of beating the living hell out of a lower ball joint for fear that I just might mess up (distort) my lower a-arm. Why is it so hard to believe that someone could have a 12 ton press? I have a 20. I press all my own bushings, bearings, balljoints ...whatever.

If you are going to get into the job, do it right. Put the sledge hammer away!!
Old 12-28-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've always used a ball joint press without any problems.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have changed plenty of press-in ball joints and if the control arm is supported properly there is no problem removing ball joint with a hammer. If you know how to aim and swing of course.

Quick Reply: Doing Ball Joints