General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

throttle body vaccuum hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body vaccuum hose

Hey guys, I dont know if this is the right place but I had a question. Can the vaccuum line that goes from the valve cover to just beyond the throttle body screw with the idle? I ask this because my idle has been weird lately, it acts as if the throttle is sticking and sometimes when I give it some gas the rpms will stay constant, or "idle" higher than usual (anywhere from like 900-1400 rpms). This lasts for a few seconds and then it goes back down to normal. Usually goes away after I drive the car for a few minutes but hasnt as of lately.

I thought I heard an air leak in the original vaccuum line so I went to autozone to get a new one but I think the guy sold me regular hose line, from what I understand vaccuum line is different right? Anyway, seems like the issue started around the time i switched them. Any ideas?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I changed the waterpump that same weekend too, I dont think that would have anything to do with the idle issue but I figured I'd let you guys know just in case
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Anyone at all?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

That hose draws fresh air from in front of the TB blade, so disconnecting it would not cause a vacuum leak at the TB (though, if not plugged, it would allow unmetered air into the system since this is after the MAF), but it would cause a small vaccum leak in the PCV system (this line is the fresh air source for the PCV system) if left open on the valve cover side. Either way, the leak should not be big enough to hold your idle that high, assuming there is still a PCV valve in place. But if you replaced the line with a new hose and connected it to both ends then you don't have anything to worry about in this regard.

You may have a vacuum leak in the PCV line though, which you can trace from where it connects to the intake on the passenger side to all the way around the back of the engine.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Any hose (of the right size) will work for vac, in fact hose intended just for vac line is usually the cheapest quality.
You should check the idle air screw, it's the cylinder thing attached to the intake (driver's side) right behind the throttle. It's really easy to remove, and see if it's gunked up with carbon.

Quick Reply: throttle body vaccuum hose