General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny?

I'm gearing up for an engine swap from a tired 3.8 to a LT1. My question is what is the difference between a 4L60E and a 700R4. And is the bell housing on the 4L60E like the 700R4, meaning is the bolt pattern different from the V6 to the V8. Also why is every one always talking trash about the automatics?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest difference is the 4L60E is electronically controlled versus the 700R4 which uses a TV cable and goes off throttle/vehicle speed. I dont hear a lot of trash talking about automatics, I mean sticks are more fun (in my opinion) and give you greater control, but the autos never miss a shift It is true that you need a v8 trans to bolt up to it. V6 trans wont bolt up (at least to my knowledge, even if they are both 4L60E).

Just curious, why are you only swapping to LT1? Its not a bad engine, but there are so many LS1s out there for a decent price. Hell you could even do a cheaper 5.3 truck engine swap. The only downside is its an iron block and doesn't put out quite the same power as the 5.7 Again, just curious. You say your V6 is tired, but so are most used LT1s.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT vs LS

I want to go with an LT engine mainly because of my budget. Here in Kentucky I can get an LT1 complete with harness, computer, and trans for around $1500 or an LS for around $3500 and a lot more headache not knowing too much about the new engines and fuel systems. If I chose a 5.3 then I would need to find all the accessory drive and complete fuel system. I would LOVE an LS but my budget right now just doesn’t support it. And as a DD i'm not gonna be sinking a ton of cash into it for hp right now. I just want a little extra when I hit the peddle.

Last edited by hot rod ronnie; 03-30-2012 at 08:21 AM.