General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P1133 on 2002 stock camaro, 60k miles ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default P1133 on 2002 stock camaro, 60k miles ???

car is stock, has never been touched by a mechanic other than for a shock replacement by the dealer around 20k miles years ago.

end of last year I replaced both front O2 sensors with denso's from rock auto.
I did not have any engine codes before this. I figured I would do it out of maintenance since the car is 10 years old and they were inexpensive. I was also getting a little bit of a rotten egg smell in my garage when pulling in or out. After the O2 replacement last year that seemed to go away.

Today was first real day driving car since 11/25/11. I put gas in it a couple days ago, 1 minute drive. Drove about 50 miles today, while on highway around 50-60mph normal engine load the engine light came on. Got home, pulled into garage, had good rotten egg smell. Code was P1133 - HO2S insufficent switching bank 1 sensor 1.

Am I looking at a failing O2 sensor that I just bought and probably have less than 5000 miles on?

I suppose i will switch the front O2's from left to right. Any other advice or things to look for?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rotten egg smell can be from a few things:
  1. Rich condition and hot cats. This matches up with the bad O2 sensor reading. You could also have a burnt or abraded wire to your O2s somewhere. This is more common with headers, but it's worth a look.
  2. Bad gas. Sometimes gas can be a bit rich in sulfur, try a different gas station.
  3. Burning coolant. Burning coolant in the combustion chamber smells of sulfur (though sulfur does not necessarily mean coolant in the combustion chamber).
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was running on a 1/4 tank of gas that was from last year. hopefully that was it. i cleared the code and drove about 20 miles the following day and did not get the code back. i'll be driving the car daily now so we'll see what happens. thanks.

Quick Reply: P1133 on 2002 stock camaro, 60k miles ???