General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor/regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motor/regulator

So my windows have been moving very slow so I picked up a set of window motors and started to replace them and adjust the window because it was leaking.

After replacing the motor on the pass side i noticed the big rivets that hold the regulator on are loose as hell. And with the window all the way down the front of the window as a lot of movement inward and outward (to center of car and away from car)

The rollers are all there but they look bent or something they do not sit straight up and down in tracks.

What is the best way to fix the loose rivets in the regulator? Can I just drill them out and bolt them in place? What about that big spring in there?

Thanks In advanced.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

sorry for the bad news...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Teching In

I'd say drill them out and just bolt them in, but only if you're absolutely sure that the motor is still good. If you're lucky you can find window motors at your local parts store for 30-40 bucks. Might be worth it to just replace it just in case. It's a fairly simple install.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ChrisKJXN
I'd say drill them out and just bolt them in, but only if you're absolutely sure that the motor is still good. If you're lucky you can find window motors at your local parts store for 30-40 bucks. Might be worth it to just replace it just in case. It's a fairly simple install.
Um... that would make the problem worse.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

I already have new motors installed but there is play in the regulater. I was thinking about drilling the rivets out and making a plate and bolting them into place but not sure if I have to worry about the spring in the door if I drill out the rivets.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Save the manuals!

A few things. The spring will be fine as long as the weight of the window stays on the regulator. You should either use wedges to secure the glass or have a friend hold the glass while you are doing all this so the glass and regulator don't move out of place.

If you have the plate, you should be able to use bolts if you epoxy the plate to the door skin. If you glue the plate to the door, the bolts will bear on the metal plate. If you don't glue the plate then the bolts will bear on the door skin, which is the problem currently. Bolts will also require thread locker so vibrations don't loosen them.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Great. So I'll just make sure the window is supported good, drill rivets out, install plate with adhesive, bolt plate on with thread locker, remove window wedge, and enjoy lol. Sounds so simple!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Save the manuals!

... yea, simple. You'll want to make sure that the plate is properly placed when you glue it. If its off from where the holes are supposed to be in an original door, you could have adjustment problems.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP i feel your pain. I had to replace the door on the wifes TA due to broken fiberglass around the rivets. Sounds like the prevous owner tried the regulator and semi-failed. People are so frigging stupid they use too large a drill bit to drill the rivets out and screw it all up. All you do is knock the center out (with the window UP!!!!) and use like maybe 7/32" drill bit with a decent drill. Should take the rivets out without hurting the door.

Quick Reply: Window motor/regulator