General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

smoking

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default smoking

Hey guys i got a question i got a 2000 z28 m6 its got 159xxx miles and ive took pretty good care of it its my dd but its been smoking at wot its white smoke ive read alot of threads on here and re-searched alot but i cant find the similar thing it dont smoke at all unless at wot the oil is fine not low i just changed it and it was still clean not milky the anti freeze was just barley low but it wasnt cheched for around a year so i toped it off and it aint burning or leaking any anti freeze and its not running hot normal temp i been watching the fluids all fine and normal i just got my cats cut off few weeks ago and run a slp lm1 so no restriction so any idea what it could be im getting ready to go on vacation next week to the annual rod run so i would like to get it fixed if its a problem but i heard it was normal for some ls1 with no cats is that it or intake manifold gasket or head gaskets thanks for the help guys
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Valve guides? I don't know how to check for this, other than maybe oily plugs.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake or valve guide seals usually smoke at start-up. With 159K at WOT it's prolly normal. Topping out the speedo monthly is considered regular maintenance [really officer...].
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vexzer
Intake or valve guide seals usually smoke at start-up. With 159K at WOT it's prolly normal. Topping out the speedo monthly is considered regular maintenance [really officer...].
Lol and how exactly is that maintenance? Seriously, that could get me out of a ticket someday lolz.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by King23
Hey guys i got a question i got a 2000 z28 m6 its got 159xxx miles and ive took pretty good care of it its my dd but its been smoking at wot its white smoke ive read alot of threads on here and re-searched alot but i cant find the similar thing it dont smoke at all unless at wot the oil is fine not low i just changed it and it was still clean not milky the anti freeze was just barley low but it wasnt cheched for around a year so i toped it off and it aint burning or leaking any anti freeze and its not running hot normal temp i been watching the fluids all fine and normal i just got my cats cut off few weeks ago and run a slp lm1 so no restriction so any idea what it could be im getting ready to go on vacation next week to the annual rod run so i would like to get it fixed if its a problem but i heard it was normal for some ls1 with no cats is that it or intake manifold gasket or head gaskets thanks for the help guys
When you're doing 40-50mph, steady cruising speed, THEN you go WOT do you get the white cloud of smoke immediately...then it clears up in 2-3 seconds as you stay on the throttle????
If yes......bad valve seal(s).

If the smoke continues to pour out white as you stay at WOT.........rings.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its pretty much as soon as i let off at 35 then wot it takes about 2 sec to start after wot then just a few sec after i let off at around 125