General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Voltage Drop at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also the a/c is controlled with a clutch, no think of the stator and rotpr as a clutch in the alternator,look it up ford has been doing this for years, and i work for porsche as a tech and they also do the same thing
Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

it does not turn it a 100% of but greatly limits its output to near nothing anyone who tunes can tell you this sorry for shitty posts i am driving and on my i phone
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

At high speeds, the on-time may be 10 percent with the off-time at 90 percent. At low speeds, the on-time may be 90 percent and the off-time 10 percent.

this is directly from GENERAL MOTORS
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

need a reference......nothing in my factory manual
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Well, if we can see the reference from Delphi, then I'd like to see it. Interesting. I'd like to learn more. I know you can turn on and off the compressor. It's got a clutch, but never knew they could with the alternator.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator

Originally Posted by fastazzls1
it does it turns of the exciter circuit in the alternator
Could be. At higher RPMs, some alternators can self-excite. This doesn't mean that the alternator turns itself "off." The engine needs electricity to fire the spark plugs. The faster the engine turns, the more the spark plugs fire. The more the spark plugs fire, the more electricity is required. The alternator can not stop working at the point of the highest electrical demand!

my brother works for delphi as an electrical engineer the pcm also doesnt allow the ac compressor to come on the pcm will temporarily disable the alternator output for that the battery should be able to supply the ignition system,
You should check with your brother again on this... I'd bet that its just the exciter.

also anytime you spin a alternator faster it produces a stronger magnetic field
Nope, the alternator turns a winding through a magnetic field. You have generators and motors mixed up here. The process of turning the alternator through the magnetic field takes force to accomplish.

the reason the pcm does this is due to acc drag on the engine i will find the actual delphi engineering study from my brother and they found this to be woth a total of 7 hp at wot also newer cars dont do this cause newer alternators are pwm and the ezcite circuit is actually turned off and on in a percentage
Sure, if you can self-excite, you can turn off the exciter and safe some hp. But again, this doesn't mean that the alternator is no longer producing electricity, its just doesn't need the extra help from the exciter circuit.

the voltmeter should never read zero unless the battery is a boat anchor
THIS, THIS, THIS! is a great point. If an alternator is failing, the voltage should drop slowly as the battery drains. The OP's problem could just be a loose wire that is getting knocked around as the engine kicks at high RPM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

AND THE WINNER IS!

Ding! Ding! Ding!!

The truck alternator!
Thanks for playing, /topic.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

also the pcm turns the alternator off at wide open throttle for performance aspects
the pcm will temporarily disable the alternator output
I disagree, but you don't have to take my word for it. All you have to do is run a scan log and track voltage before and during WOT. If the system is working properly, you won't see the significant voltage drop that would be associated with the alternator/charging capabilities being "shut off" at WOT as you have stated.

Furthermore, the truck alternators may be a superior design, and obviously have provided some relief for some people having charging issues, but it's not getting at the original root of their problem IMO. These engines/cars were able to charge adequately (albeit a bit low at idle with a full accessory load) with stock electrical systems and stock charging components when new, so unless you've added additional load or are using a poor quality rebuild, then the issue is more than just charging capacity of the alternator - and the higher output truck units are likely just masking other issues. I think more often than not, the real issue is people getting rebuilds that are not of the same quality as the OEM original alternator. I've had lots of disappointing rebuilds from retail parts store chains over the years myself.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-25-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Furthermore, the truck alternators may be a superior design, and obviously have provided some relief for some people having charging issues, but it's not getting at the original root of their problem IMO. These engines/cars were able to charge adequately (albeit a bit low at idle with a full accessory load) with stock electrical systems and stock charging components when new, so unless you've added additional load or are using a poor quality rebuild, then the issue is more than just charging capacity of the alternator - and the higher output truck units are likely just masking other issues. I think more often than not, the real issue is people getting rebuilds that are not of the same quality as the OEM original alternator. I've had lots of disappointing rebuilds from retail parts store chains over the years myself.
AMEN!!! If the problem came with the installation of a different alternator, something other than the alternator sizing is the issue.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

would not trade my truck alt for a pile of gold.......well maybe ;P
Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

So get a new alt?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

so few places you can get a NEW alt......99% are remans
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tramminc
start the car then take the positive terminal off and see if it dies. If it does than replace the alt'.
DO NOT DO THIS.

this is a good fast way to cook your ecu.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I'm about 100% sure this does not happen, unless I missed something in engineering school. The only way you are going to "turn it off" is to stop it spinning, so unless you're car has a accessory belt that the pcm can shut off at any time, there would be no performance gained. You are still spinning the alternator. MAYBE the regulator could cut the voltage at high rpm but there is no need. Nothing is gained.
an average alternator costs about 5 hp to run. there is an advantage to turning it off, which can be done. honda's been doing it for years.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
an average alternator costs about 5 hp to run. there is an advantage to turning it off, which can be done. honda's been doing it for years.
I can't speak for every/all applications, but I can say that this is not how the LS1s work. I've run many scan logs of WOT voltage in the past, due to an issue I was diagnosing several years ago, and I can tell you that alternator output does not drop off to nothing or near nothing at WOT with a properly working system (LS1).

Anyone that wishes to test this can do so quite easily and see for themselves if they have a comprehensive OBD scanner.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I can't speak for every/all applications, but I can say that this is not how the LS1s work. I've run many scan logs of WOT voltage in the past, due to an issue I was diagnosing several years ago, and I can tell you that alternator output does not drop off to nothing or near nothing at WOT with a properly working system (LS1).

Anyone that wishes to test this can do so quite easily and see for themselves if they have a comprehensive OBD scanner.
i wasn't saying that these cars can do it...or that they do. i was simply stating that it can be done.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I guess I learned something new today. That is can be turned off so to speak. I would like to see some real world testing numbers of how much is gained by doing this. 1ltcap says 5hp, but is that by removing it from the belt all together, or just by so called turning it off?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Well, I guess I learned something new today. That is can be turned off so to speak. I would like to see some real world testing numbers of how much is gained by doing this. 1ltcap says 5hp, but is that by removing it from the belt all together, or just by so called turning it off?
no.....simply turning it off. if it's not producing voltage, then it simply freewheels.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i wasn't saying that these cars can do it...or that they do. i was simply stating that it can be done.
If you knew that F-bodies don't do it, then why the fck would you come in here talking about it and just trying to confuse everyone. Absolutely no relevance to this topic. That's like someone asking, "What company had the first variable displacement prototype," and you go and tell 'em, "Well Honda started doing their version of it in 2005."
Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
If you knew that F-bodies don't do it, then why the fck would you come in here talking about it and just trying to confuse everyone. Absolutely no relevance to this topic. That's like someone asking, "What company had the first variable displacement prototype," and you go and tell 'em, "Well Honda started doing their version of it in 2005."
where in any of my posts does it become obvious that i knew these cars don't do this?

Quick Reply: Voltage Drop at WOT?