General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

name that sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default name that sound

http://youtu.be/ZptA1uD2xeI

This weird sound happend prior to me changing my serpentine belt. I changed the belt and this stupid squeek is still happening. Sounds like a bird in the bird lol. Anyway I am going to fix this problem over the weekend even if I have to remove the belt and go pulley by pulley til I find my problem but before I do that I figured it would be alot easier to ask you guys first. Do you think the belt is slightly loose or is it a pulley problem? Thanks in advance and I know my engine bay is a little messy right now don't remind me. That whining sound is annoying too I think my power steering is acting up also but first wheres that chirping coming from? I didn't rev crazy but you can hear it.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I put on a gator back serpentine belt. The "birds" would chirp only on cold starts. What I did was put this stuff called Brrr-eaker on the pulleys and every once in awhile just lube them up as a precaution.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the berrings in ur tensioner might be dry. The grease in them dries out after a while and casues it to squeal I read somewhere on here how you can repack them, or you can just buy a new tensioner just make sure you figure out which one it is so you don't end up buying the wrong one
Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Best thing to do is go get a mechanics stethoscope (sears, harbor freight, parts store) and place it on each pulley untill you find the source of the noise. Easy fix man.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its the tensioner.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like a bad power steering pump to me. the squeaking could be coming from the bearing in the pump or you just have a oily residue on either the belt or one of the pullies.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well thankyou everybody. Previous comment on a bad power steering pump was correct as far as that whining sound. My alternator was also making a slight squeek as I found out troubleshooting the pulley's, Most likely the bearings are starting to go on that too. Since its under warranty I will be replacing that also and for free. When troubleshooting the whole thing The bolt that holds the power steering pulley in place was installed on a slight angle which made it impossible to remove using the pulley tool at Autozone and believe me I tried everything. I actually had to drill thru the end of the power steering pulley to get to the bolts holding the pump and then I was finally able to remove the pulley with alot of profanity and muscle. What a nightmare that was.

Anyway my new question now is should I get a stock replacement for a power steering pump or get a cheap duralast one from Autozone for $50 bucks? What would you guys recommend for a guy on a budget? I heard rebuilt isn't the best way to go because they tend to fail for one reason or another but I am curious to know what you guys would recommend for the life of a power steering pump. Buy stock or aftermarket? rebuilt/new/or used? Also I hear that Napa has better quality parts then Auto Zone for something like this. They have rebuilt p/s pumps for around $130 but is paying more getting more in this case and for that price am I better off getting a stock replacement at a junkyard or on ebay? what would you guys do?

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 04-25-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I have the same chirping sound coming from my car. So the alternator was making the chirping not the PS correct?